POLLS: How Old Are You?; and What is Your Gender?

Colonel Klink’s Dad! : )

1 Like

Club Minimal sounds like it was a wild scene … do you see yourself in this 1985 video footage?

1 Like

I added mine - we’re nearly at 1% per vote! As I recall from working for marketing research folks, something like 200 is needed for some sort of statistical significance, but that’s not really my area.

1 Like

That’s the place! I don’t see myself but I could have been there. It was an old, brick, slot of a building on the wrong side of the tracks as they say.

I’m so glad I nearly always used ear plugs. It was loud and talk about reflective. Looks like 1984 was the last date…whats a year give or take 30 years ago.

https://www.concertarchives.org/venues/club-minimal

1 Like

29 year old male here. I’m an audiophile for life! My system is starting to sound very very good. I’m just starting to be able to afford some more of the higher end stuff. I think that right there is the hurdle most of my generation can’t get past. To get a good performing system the cost is quite the pill to swallow and it doesn’t help that people around my age are just getting married, buying their first home and having their first kids. A hifi setup is usually at the bottom of the list.

I’m saving up now to try and afford a used Power Plant 3 or 5. That’s the next addition to my system hopefully!

5 Likes

seegs,

I was just a little bit older than you when I first decided it was time to “splurge” and buy some good speakers to satisfy my audiophile cravings and budding home theater interest.

Spent many hours in brick-and-mortar showrooms listening to speakers and a final 6 hour marathon session to select B&W Matrix 804’s as the foundation to my system. Despite many temptations over the years, those 804’s sit in front of me now as I type this. 20 years later and they still sound awesome to my ear. :slight_smile:

So, take your time, choose wisely, and you may just be buying gear that you’ll end up spending a lifetime with! :smiley:

Enjoy!

Dan W.

2 Likes

I too built my first ‘real’ system based around a pair of Vandersteen 2Ce Sigs in my 20s.

I’m afraid the B&W sound doesn’t agree with my ear/brain setup. Arguably, the Vandersteens and B&W are on opposite ends of the brightness scale. I’m sure the Vandys would seem way too warm and perhaps dull to your ear.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m getting close to that point where I feel I would have to spend a LOT more to get a decent step up in audio quality. My system is close to “complete” for a while IMO. To save some money, everything but the cables were bought used. Current system consists of:

Speakers: Monitor Audio Platinum PL100 II bookshelves
Subwoofers: Bowers & Wilkins PV1D (one for each channel)
Source: Singxer SU-1
DAC: PS Audio Directstream Sr.
Amplifier: Custom Nelson Pass designed VFET amplifier (20 watts of pure Class A)
Cables: DH Labs Silver Sonic interconnects, PS Audio I2S HDMI Cable, BJC Twelve Speaker Cables

The speakers are the newest addition as of a few weeks ago and, wow, do they sound amazing. Though they ought to given their MSRP and that theyre only a 2-way speaker. They pair very nicely with the subs. The B&Ws are some of the most musical subs I’ve ever heard and I’ve tested a lot of them out. I think it’s due to their smaller size. The 8" dual drivers on each allow for a lot of driver control. The bass is extremely articulate and tight. It’s as Paul often points out, the subs job is to not be heard, as if the sound coming from it were simply an extension of the speakers you’re pairing them with. That’s exactly what I hear.

3 Likes

My first foray in the better stuff was in 1976. I was 27 with my first really nice house, Married, one child and twins on the way! I hung out at the local Audio Shop and was indoctrinated. Retired were the old Kenwood receiver and Cerwin Vega speakers. In came the CM Labs 912 power amp and CM 300 Pre Amp, a Thorens TD 125 turntable with Keith Monks Unipivot Mercury Bath Tonearm. All this drove Gale GS 401A Speakers. I was in love with the sound. Many late nights my little daughter would wander out of her bedroom, blanket in hand exclaiming “Party Dad, big musics!”. She still remembers those times and loves the music still!

4 Likes

The first speakers I really fell in love with were Vandersteen 2C’s.

3 Likes

Car audio… another passion

Forget about stand-alone dacs in a car :frowning:

The problem with car audio for me is ambient noise. Any recordings with decent dynamic range are rendered unlistenable in a car. There is no way in heck I am driving a car so isolated from the road that the dynamic range issue is not a problem.

You just have to turn it up :slight_smile:

No, I want to keep what hearing I have left for as long as I can.

You guys need cars with better sounding engines.

1 Like

Amen! Maserati Quattroporte S (4.7L F1 Ferrari engine) with Larini exhaust system.

1 Like

I do love the sound of a Ferrari v12! Wish I could afford one! :joy:

I would be careful. This only happens in the head. My neighbor had one (V12 engine). I borrowed it. I went to the bakery to get some rolls. Very bad idea. No visibility, parking is terrible. Back I took a detour and gave some gas. You have to crank up the engine speed pretty much, to notice the power. And then it gets loud. Built-in stereo was underground… And the car is bumpy. There is nothing that gives pleasure to my back. After 30 minutes, I knew what I do not need in my life.

Meanwhile, I already have one or the other year behind me. I’m getting older. Slowly but surely. And unstoppable. That’s why I thought about a suitable wheelchair. I bought this one. Power in every situation. And soundwise you won’t miss anything. But admittedly, stereo is not an option either :sunglasses:

1 Like

It’s little, it’s loud, it’s glorious

1 Like