Possible Impact to Sound Quality Due to Seasonal Temperature Changes

I noticed a significant change in sound quality - not in a good way - two weeks ago when the temperature dipped into the low 50s for the first time this fall in Houston - it happened literally overnight as I listen to my system daily. The bass got weaker, overall sound signature became much more analytical or thinner (probably due to the loss of bass), and the center image shifted noticeably to the left. Then the temperature this past weekend got back to the high 60s to low 70s. Overnight everything that I was missing came back. My listening room is climate-controlled at mid 70s throughout the year, and I haven’t changed anything in my system (consists of BHK Pre, 250, DSD, Magnepan etc.) since June. Could seasonal temperature changes impact the sound this much or is something else messing my head? If the former is true, can anything be done to prevent the changes?

what about humidity levels?

1 Like

Good point, didn’t think much of it. I will try to experiment that once the next cold front hits. Thanks.

Quite dry most of the time here in CO, and in the winter when I run humidifiers, I’ve noticed pretty significant shifts in sound.

Thanks. It’s the other way around here in the Houston area where humidity is high most of the time except winter/spring time.

Do homes have electric heating there? If so, all those heaters coming on could affect electrical noise or even voltage levels.

Good point. Electrical use in-house and the grid in general will both have effects on sound quality even with a good power conditioner. Reduced demand on the grid late at night is a reason why one’s system seems to perform better then.

Can’t say for sure if heaters were on when I first noticed it. But I did purposely make sure all heaters (off of the AC units) were off in the subsequent days but it still sounded the same. But here in Houston people heat their houses using mainly the AC units, I would think sound could be negatively impacted during summer time as well except it doesn’t.

I have to say this is a new one. I guess the next questions is what is the perfect temp to listen to one’s system. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I know right. Next I am going to notice change in sound after getting an haircut.

2 Likes

Humidity directly affects air density, and air is the medium of sound. It’s neither brain surgery nor woo woo.

1 Like

Humidity will also affect any paper (or potentially soft done) drivers, and wooden cabinets, increasing their weight amongst other characteristics, it’s certainly something I keep an eye on (humidity meters etc.) - for the sake of speakers and also for the sake of acoustic guitars.

1 Like