Question for Power Plant users

Do you still hear a difference in sound quality from day time to late night listening?

I purchased a used Audience line conditioner awhile back and it made a hugh difference in sound quality, during the day and late at night. But things still sound better late at night, and that bugs the hell out of me. Maybe that’s just the way it is no matter what you’re using, be it Power Plant or line conditioner. But if a Power Plant eliminates that difference I would definitely be interested in eventually purchasing one.

If I’m not mistaken, there is a previous thread on this subject. Plenty of us notice a difference between day and late night listening and I believe there are several reasons. In my case the ambient noise in my listening environment is lower, making detail and micro-dynamics easier to discern. It’s also a fact that AC mains conditions are better in general. During the business day there are all manor of noise sources polluting the line. In my area (I live in downtown Chicago), I’m also immersed in a sea of RF interference from all kinds of sources. Again late at night RF traffic tends to diminish. Some claim, and I wouldn’t disagree, an emotional and even biochemical element. We simply tend to be more calm and relaxed in the wee hours of quiet time and I for one do believe that impacts my listening mood. For these reasons I consistently observe the SQ of my system to be better during weekends.
So there I go pointing you to another thread and then summarizing what you’d find on the other thread. Anyway my humble observations for what they’re worth …
I’m not a PP user btw, but I do have what I consider to be a top notch Furman SPR-20i line stabilizer and all these observations still apply.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response. I agree, part of the reason we seem to have a greater connection to the music late at night could be influenced by emotional or biochemical factors. Also as you mentioned, there’s more electromagnetic and RF pollution bombarding us and our systems during the day. Might have to turn my listening room into a Faraday cage.

2 Likes

My pleasure. Living in a Faraday cage is where I draw the line on hair-shirt high end audio. :slight_smile:

Seriously though, if you have a RF EMI issue it’s well worth spending 10 bucks for a bag of snap on RF beads. I have an assortment. Sometimes effective, sometimes not. But hey if not you’re out nothing more than lunch money and snap on beads can be removed from your cables if they don’t do the job.

Might not be too big of a deal to protect your listening room from EMF and RF pollution, using this special paint.

• EMF shielding paint for interior application and exterior application. Excellent shielding qualities for protection against RF radiation, microwave and from low-frequency Electric Fields if grounded
  • Attenuation of 39 dB in one layer (shielding effectiveness of 99.987 %). Electro-conductive coating, liquid water-based and Low-emission (0.2g/litre)
  • High water resistance and environmentally friendly. Apply as a prime coat and cover with interior paint or exterior paint.
    https://www.amazon.com/Shielding-Solutions-EMF-Paint-HSF54/dp/B007A0RTES
1 Like

Know that if you shield your room be sure to turn off your mobile cellular radio when in that space. The signal will be so attenuated the mobile will boost its gain to the max to try to reach the tower.

Better yet, turn on any radio you’re not using, wifi, bluetooth, cellular.

I use Apple Shortcuts to alert me when I leave the house or return, turn on cellular and turn on airplane mode, respectively.

1 Like

I live in city and have P10 and using shielding curtains (helped to reduce RFI from 300µW/kg to 30µW/kg) and still prefer listening after 22-23PM.
Possibly due to lower audio noise floor in my flat. If i recall correctly (years back) , P10 helped a lot to make day listening more pleasant (and of course the lower impedance of P10 helps dynamics 24x7, not just during day) however it’s still better during night .

1 Like