Post Your Current Network Signal Path to Your DAC

I thought it might be fun and informative to share network file streaming set ups, complicated or otherwise. Hoping to have a thread that can inform and inspire system optimization/performance and sharing of experiences with different options and kit. Post away.

1 Like

I’ll go first, with my Frankenstein-like bits and pieces that have been cobbled together.

Working back upstream from the DAC:

DirectStream Sr. DAC with upgraded transformers and analogue power supply board >
RAL I2S cable to AirLens Network Bridge >
Inakuatik Referenz Ethernet cable >
EtherRegen B Port >
Pink Faun LAN Isolator from EtherRegen A Port >
WireWorld Starlight Ethernet cable out of Pink Faun >
TP Link Media Converter >
Fiber Optic cable >
TP Link Media Converter >
Audioquest Forest Ethernet cable >
eero Wi-Fi mesh base station >
Generic Ethernet cable >
GigaFoil Inline LAN Isolator >
Audioquest Forest Ethernet cable >
AT&T modem/router

The DS Sr. is plugged into a MSB Isolation Base (conditioning/grounding device).

MSB Isolation Base is powered by a PSA P10 Regenerator.

P10 is powered via a Swiss Digital Fuse Box and a copper “Sluggo” is substituted for the P10 fuse.

PSA Stellar PowerPlant 3 supplies power to the AirLens, EtherRegen, DS Sr. analogue power board via a small green computer 12v power supply and TP Link Media Converter via iFi iPower supply.

My ripped and downloaded files reside on an iMac computer and Synology NAS.

Roon Core and JRiver Media Center music software are on the iMac.

The iMac and other networked devices (AirLens, iPhone, iPad) access the network via an eero wireless access point.

I like to think this convoluted configuration of isolation devices, “quieter” power supplies, Wi-Fi access and power regenerators does a pretty decent job of preventing and isolating relevant types of potential noise and interference.

Constructive criticism and suggestions welcome.

4 Likes

USB flash drive with DSD files on it connects directly to DAC.

DAC also plays cd’s.

3 Likes

Not exactly a networked solution/feed, but I bet it sounds swell.

Cheers.

1 Like

I saw “signal path to DAC” LOL

2 Likes

‘> dedicated fiber line
‘> dedicated Router (only 1 port used) - fed by Sean Jacobs PSU
‘> |Pink Faun Interlink| 1.0 meter
‘> MuonPro
‘> PhoenixNET switch
‘> |STEALTH Ethernet| 1.5 meter
‘> Statement NG server/streamer
‘> |STEALTH USB| 1.5 meter
‘> MSB Pro module |MSB fiber Pro ISL|
‘> MSB DAC

All plugged by STEALTH power cords into one Puritan PSM-156

Each unit connected to its dedicated CAD GC.1 - ground control (5 pieces)

6 Likes

I have a modded MkI (APS transformers, linear PSU for analog stage, Vocm and resistor upgrades).

Music comes from Roon on a QNAP NAS over ethernet to a Squeezebox Touch with the EDO software mod for 192kHz and then via TOSLINK to the DAC :wink:

Technically there’s an iFi SPDIF iPurifier2 in there also but that’s only because the DS doesn’t have a second TOSLINK input for my TV so I convert to coax.

I keep telling people: the DS DAC is impervious to jitter, which is the traditional weakness of optical. And on plastic fibre there’s zero electrical noise carried into the DAC, which is something the DS does have to worry about (witness the endless discussion of HDMI cables etc for I2S input).

Sometimes I use Roon’s 2x/4x PCM upsampling and some EQ. Other times I let it go bit-perfect.

3 Likes

Grimm MU2 connected with MUON Pro System to LHA SW-6.
(I believe nothing below matters, thanks to the MUON Pro)
SW-6 to on wall network port via an Inakustik cat 7 cable.
In house in wall Ethernet wiring to a switch.
In house in wall Ethernet to an English Electric switch via Inakustik Ethernet cable.
Inakustik Ethernet cable to an Eero router.
Cheesy Ethernet cable between Eero and T-Mobile 5G Internet source.

I may switch the in wall wiring and switch out for a fiber connection to the English Electric switch. It would be ugly though.

6 Likes

Because I see all the crap that our “precious” digitally streamed data goes through before hitting the demarc at my house (just like our AC power grid which I’ve also had the “pleasure” of seeing 1st hand what it alos goes through before hitting my breaker panel).

My setup is as simple, cheap (cost effective) as it gets. No fiber, all copper (shielded Amazon & Fry’s RJ45 cables). From my Cox “Panaroma” box -------> Netgear 8 port switch (Amazon FireTV Cube, Sony UBP-X10000ES, PS Audio Perfectwave Transport, Apple MacMini, and Bluesound Node 2i).

Out the Node 2i and into my PS Audio DirectStream DAC Sr. (MK1) via S/PDIF. Apple MacMini has Roon for my NAS (connected to the MacMini).

That’s it. No Fiber, no fancy Green Computer stuff, no Sonore stuff, and no jewelry level RJ45 cables.

Oh…I forgot. I got tired of all the wallwarts taking up room on my power strips so I grabbed a high current toroidal and built a cleanly regulated 12VDC power supply for the Switch & NAS USB docking SSD docking station.

5 Likes

Wow, I appreciate my simple disc driven signal path even more seeing these complex pathways. My PerfectWave SACD transport and NuWave Phono Converter feed my DSD DAC Mk II. Simple!

3 Likes

→ Ziggo modem
→ 40 feet el cheapos internet cable
→ Pink Faun Lan Isolator
→ Aurender W20SE (local stored files, Qobuz & Tidal)
→ 2x AQ Diamond AES/EBU (dual AES)
→ dCS Vivaldi Apex
→ AQ Diamond from Vivaldi’s word clock out into Aurender W20SE (sync clock)

My Uptone EtherRegen, Ultracap LPS 1.2 & AQ Diamond RJ/E are now dusting in the closet because this stuff doesn’t offer qualitatively added value since the arrival of the Aurender. The Pink Faun Lan Isolator is also allowed in the closet, but hey, it’s just a small plug…

1 Like

That’s a lotto stuff! :grin:
And a great thread! I had to think a bit to get everything in the correct order.

I currently have three paths from the street to my DAC’s

Path #1
Router running on ify LPS > BJC CAT 6A in-wall to basement Netgear 24 port switch >
BJC CAT 6A in-wall > English 8 switch running on SBooster LPS >
BJC CAT 6A > Pink Faun 2.16x Ultra (Roon Server and stored local files)
And
English 8 switch running on SBooster LPS >
BJC CAT 6A > BACCH ADIO through the internal ADIO DAC >.
Analog out to Pass XP-32 Preamp (volume and source control)
Using Roon to stream local files from the PF or internet via Qobuz >

This path is for strictly using the BACCH’s internal DAC

Path #2

Router running on ify LPS > BJC CAT 6A in-wall to basement Netgear 24 port switch >
BJC CAT 6A > Pink Faun 2.16x Ultra (Roon Server and stored local files)
And
English 8 switch running on SBooster LPS >
BJC CAT 6A > BACCH ADIO >
BJC COAX> Playback Designs MPD-8 Dream DAC >

This is my main use path using the BACCH for processing then MPD-8 for DAC

Path #3
BJC CAT 6A > Pink Faun 2.16x Ultra (Roon Server and stored local files) >
Pink Faun USB > Playback Designs USB X-4 Plink (glass fiber converter)>
Playback Designs MPD-8 Dream DAC (bypassing the BACCH) >

This path doesn’t get used much since the BACCH arrived.

3 Likes

That is most likely the cleanest and quietest path possible!

1 Like

Yep. Maybe too much with some diminishing returns tossed in for good (or bad) measure, but the system is singing pretty good at the moment.

Next time I get restless, maybe I’ll swap some kit around in or out of the signal chain and see if there is a discernible difference, for good or ill.

Cheers.

You have had the Innuos Statement music server for a bit now.

Care to share or update your experience now that you have some miles on it…?

Ciao.

1 Like

Network signal to DAC:
AT&T fiber > AT&T 5G router > Muon Pro ( in line filter / cable) > Grimm MU2 (streamer / DAC).

7 Likes

Synology NAS>BJC cat6>Auralic G2.1> WW PS7 usb>DSSr DAC

3 Likes

Streaming from Qobuz:

• CAT6 in wall
  • English Electric 8 switch (powered from HD Plex power supply)
  • Synergistic Research Foundation Ethernet cable
  • Pink Faun LAN isolator
  • AirLens
  • Tubulus Concentus I2S cable
  • DirectStream DAC Mk 2 (DAC and AirLens powered from P12)

Local file playback:

• Synology NAS 218+ (powered from HD Plex power supply)
  • AudioQuest Vodka Ethernet cable to English Electric 8
  • then as above
1 Like

Thanks for asking. This is not the appropriate thread so let me know if you prefer another forum or a PM.

Let me just say: it sounds nice and love mainly the realism and lifelike effect it can bring. A little bit dark, in a pleasant way. Never thought to upgrade, I’m happy with it.

1 Like

Another very short path. Nice.

2 Likes