Preamp for M1200 Mono Amps

Hi all,
I am thinking of updating my many years old system with a pair of Stellar M1200 Amps and I do not see a Stellar PreAmp on the Stellar family page.

Does PS Audio or anyone have any suggestions for a PreAmp to go with a pair of M1200 amps?

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
Chip

The Stella GainCell Dac is a DAC and preamp in one. Excellent kit. I have one paired with my M700 monoblocks.

2 Likes

It’s not an inexpensive option, but the very best is the BHK Pre. It will clearly outperform the GainCell. If it’s outside of your reach, I would drive them directly from a DirectStream Sr and start to put away money until the BHK is within reach

2 Likes

Both great options. It’s always budget, right?

@Palouse is right. The Gain Cell/DAC (SGCD around these parts) is the preamp in the Stellar line. And like him, I also have one paired with M700s.

Wyred STP-SE for transparency. Stage 2 brings more openness and purity. BHK sounds warmer and musical but at a higher cost.

Agree on Wyred 4 Sound and I’ve owned and sold the BHK preamp.

I have the BHK Preamp with the M1200’s. They match very nicely together.
If the high cost is an issue, Schiit Audio makes a preamp with tubes called Freya+
Whatever route you go, strongly recommend balanced cables from preamp to M1200 power amp.

The M1200’s were voiced with the BHK preamp so that would be the best option. I had the M1200’s and the BHK preamp. You can’t go wrong.

1 Like