PS audio BHK 250.

I’m not happy with my BHK 250. I have now tried several different speakers and it just does not sound loud enough. I do not have a preamplifier, it drives through my DS dac. My little tube swivel on 2x30 watts plays higher. If I buy a PS audio preamplifier does it play higher? Is it an easy way to test if it’s alright that it delivers the watts it needs. What experiences do other owners have? Would you like to play through a DS?

I’m frustrated

Hi Michael,

but it’s only up to 89 - you have at least another 10clicks to go! You haven’t accidentally switched the attenuator in have you? Or,

Are the speakers particularly high impedance?

frank7036 said

Hi Michael,

but it’s only up to 89 - you have at least another 10clicks to go! You haven’t accidentally switched the attenuator in have you? Or,

Are the speakers particularly high impedance?

Yes right here on this photo, it's low listening. I'm up to 96 etc and one just does not kick the ass. Example with the speakers here easily 100 and there is not much fun happening - Piega c8 ltd

Infinity RS 1B Proac 2.5 and Rogers ls 3/5 (15ohm)

There’s no question the addition of the preamp will significantly increase the output level possible through the BHK. This amp seriously kicks ass and if it isn’t for you, then either you need some more gain or we have another issue.

I am confused on which system we’re talking about. Do you have all these systems?

I’ll try out if it helps with a BHK Signature Pre when I’m going to decide if I’m going to buy a PS audio BHK 250.
more to my bass towers. I hope it helps. (Thank you for support PS audio)
My 250 is used for the middle and treble of my Infinity RS 1b

Yes, I have all those systems and more, and it’s primarily for my Infinity RS 1B, which is highly loved and thanks to Paul

“This amp seriously kicks ass and if it isn’t for you, then either you need some more gain or we have another issue.”

. I need Poul “either you need some more gain or we have another issue.”

I lived with the RS1Bs for many years. Really good speakers but they do take some grunt to drive properly and you want to make sure the bass tower crossover is still working. There’s a sense resistor inside the crossover box that sometimes fails. I used to throw about 400 watts per channel into those bass towers and they still could use more.

rain_gif

Why not trade-in the 250 for a pair of S300 mono-blocks? More power and better sound. Win alround.

Better still keep the 250…! Buy the 300’s and the BHK preamp… One can never have too many PSA / BHK… -:slight_smile: Especially with the amount of kit Michael has at his place… ‘You know it makes sense’ smiley-music005_gif

Dirk said

Better still keep the 250…! Buy the 300’s and the BHK preamp… One can never have too many PSA / BHK… -:slight_smile: Especially with the amount of kit Michael has at his place… ‘You know it makes sense’

You are completely right.

Lol I have been raised with one book - the book.
https://www.irphe.fr/~clanet/otherpaperfile/articles/Rayleigh/N0095130_PDF_1_340.pdf

Measurement 2 meters from speaker Proac 2.5 - PC, TOS - DS - RCA - 250.

Tidal - VANESSA FENANDEZ - HERE BUT I’M GONE - 82 DB -84 DB

Vanessa Fernandez - Use Me - 82 DB-86 DB.

Speaker Data
https://www.stereophile.com/content/proac-response-25-loudspeaker-measurements

20604705_10214789983249558_793418431720036156_n-1.jpg

I am shaken

Now I have connected DS and 250 through XLR. Hold on, then you start pulling teeth. It’s a serious problem for me about my speakers -

XLR … I never use XLR for HIFI …

A cool sound that’s now coming out of my Rogers Ls 3/5 from 1975 - keep it up, it’s good for the 15 ohms speaker (XLR)
14633655_10211788115444739_894636988032379769_o.jpg

There will be a 6dB difference by RCA and XLR as the balanced outputs have x2 voltage over RCA.

Your speakers are not very efficient (83dB) so for maximum volume you benefit from higher output of the DAC.

If it is now too loud using XLR just turn the volume (or more correct - attenuator) control down.

@Michael - Denmark

All your issues will be alleviated when you introduce the BHK preamp between the DS and the 250… And: ‘the musicality it will be greatly improved as well’. Before I bought the BHK preamp I used the DS straight to the BHK 300’s with balanced interconnects driving Shahinian Diapason speakers. I, too, had to run the DS at over 90 and with some recordings I run the DS flat out and I still needed more oomph … The BHK preamp was the answer… An incredible product ! Then again, one could say the same for the DS, DMP, BHK’s, etc, etc…!

There’s no need to put a BHK preamp on until they look cute. It must of course be tested. You drive guaranteed with XLR. I have the point that my electronic crossover can not drive XLR. (Infinity RS 1b) What does it look like if I drive XLR from my DS to my preamplifier into the analog XLR inputs here? And saw RCA pre1 from my preamplifier here? Will it give something? And can you connect DS a way here?

I never believe before hearing such a bad sound on an RCA input as on this PS audio 250. It’s not just the height of the 6DB - it’s a disaster of sound.Excuse me

20429811_10214792125143104_7937247905114636063_n.jpg

So the test is the same as if it were a BHK preamp - There may be another and better sound on the BHK preamp - But if I can not get the same juice on this way, I can not use it for my RS1 room. Then I quit my Ps Audio rack with a PerfectWave P10 and so struggle to get a room in one of the rooms as a space reference.

If I have read the comments correctly in the thread suggest you have three issues:

1: you say the electronic x-over for the Infinity RS 1b doesn’t have/support XLR.

2: using RCA outputs from DS DAC into your Advance Audience pre-amp the levels are too low

3: sound quality when using BHK250 for mids & high is bad.

Are you using this pre-amp?

• The X-Preamp regroups all the classical functions and technology of a High-End preamplifier. The numerous connections allow to link to different sources, Balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs, MM phono input.

• The X-Preamp provides a high-end D/A converter Burr Brown PCM 1796, 24 bits x 192 kHz for Coax, Optical and AES/EBU inputs, as an USB – XMOS input ( asynchronous – XMOS 24 bits x 192 kHz ) in order to obtain from your MAC or PC the better musical performance. Plug your computer to listen audio files, the internet radios as streaming websites in High Fidelity.

• The X-Preamp provides a Tone Control as a balance. These circuits can be disconnected via a « Bypass ».

• A remote control device delivered with the X-Preamp will make it easier to use…

For better results, use ACS10 : XLR – Balance cable to connect X-Preamp to X-A160

it says you can use XLR connections. It depends how the pre-amp circuits act if you have XLR input but use RCA out.

It might help if you describe your connection set-up.

Eg. DS DAC (RCA out) ->

X-pre Amp (RCA out) ->

Infinity X-over (RCA out/line -level) -> BHK250 -> mid drivers & tweeters.

I’ll be right back when I’ve just rolled you off the bed and no, I never use the preamplifier. I can not connect my infinity with any amplifier in XLR. http://www.infinity-classics.de/models/Reference-series-1+b-2-10+A+B-1981-86/index-Reference.htm
Look up here and see the shower instructions … just look at the pairing photo … lol and help for help
http://www.infinity-classics.de/models/Reference-series-1+b-2-10+A+B-1981-86/index-Reference.htm

Ps, I use the prize for the bass X-A1200 and this set of pre is just a cute me to the tin in the middle class with etc.

20_gif