BHK Signature preamp Review coming to TAS

I got the latest issue of The Absolute Sound yesterday and in the Future TAS section it has the BHK preamp listed! No mention of when it will be published, but it does say the preamp will be shipping in 2Q 2016. Presumably PS Audio has already promised TAS a review sample, perhaps the review will be out around the time the production units ship? Will be most interesting to read the review given the uber expensive preamps they have reviewed. The BHK 300 mono amps did very well in their review, I expect no less for the preamp.

pmotz said I got the latest issue of The Absolute Sound yesterday and in the Future TAS section it has the BHK preamp listed! No mention of when it will be published, but it does say the preamp will be shipping in 2Q 2016. Presumably PS Audio has already promised TAS a review sample, perhaps the review will be out around the time the production units ship? Will be most interesting to read the review given the uber expensive preamps they have reviewed. The BHK 300 mono amps did very well in their review, I expect no less for the preamp.
I've got a AudioResearch LS26 that is running just fine right now. Plus I bought 2 sets of 6H30 spare tubes for it. I'm curious how the BHKPA will compare with it.

Yes, the BHK preamp’s inching closer to production on a daily basis and I have been using it now for quite a while. It has taken a permanent spot in Music Room One without any hesitation of ever going back. It’s a killer.

Does it come in black?

audiohippo said Does it come in black?
It'd better . . . . .

It does.BHK-250-black-side.png

Preamp, not BHK 250 . . .

Doh!! Well, no photos, but yes, preamp is black and silver.

But is there a paisley option?

Paul McGowan said Yes, the BHK preamp's inching closer to production on a daily basis and I have been using it now for quite a while. It has taken a permanent spot in Music Room One without any hesitation of ever going back. It's a killer.
Paul,

Can you comment on how it compares to the Aesthetix Calypso it replaces? The PS audio amp is 1.5x the price of the Aesthetix and your new products typically improve price/ performance by 100%, so it should be 3x as good (roughly equivalent with say a $13K Arc Ref 5SE).

Joking aside, any early observations on sonics?

The Calypso has long been my favorite. What a stellar sounding preamp - best I have heard - until the BHK. As soon as I have moved from a prototype BHK preamp to a production unit, the Calypso is for sale. Anyone interested should contact me.

High praise. :slight_smile:

It would be silly for Paul to use a competitors preamp if PS Audio makes one also. Could you imagine Paul using anything other than the DS in his reference system? giggle_gif

Thanks but I use all manner of different manufacturer’s products - from speakers, to cables - and we used to make cables - but other ones are better.

I look at it differently. When I started the preamp project my goal was to beat the amazing Calypso. Only then would I replace it. And if we couldn’t beat the product, why release the new preamp? The same with the amplifier. I have a bunch of amps, or at least had a bunch, and until the BHK soundly trounced them all, it was put into service.

Paul - The Aesthetix Calypso is very good, but their higher end Callisto performs in an entirely different league and is the one to beat! wink

Makes sense. Their products are extraordinarily good sounding.

Paul McGowan said Thanks but I use all manner of different manufacturer's products - from speakers, to cables - and we used to make cables - but other ones are better.

I look at it differently. When I started the preamp project my goal was to beat the amazing Calypso. Only then would I replace it. And if we couldn’t beat the product, why release the new preamp? The same with the amplifier. I have a bunch of amps, or at least had a bunch, and until the BHK soundly trounced them all, it was put into service.

With all due respect, I believe that ambition level is too modest. The ps audio preamp will be more expensive than the calypso, so of course it should beat it. Since ps audio has a reputation (and philosopy I presume) that new products move the price performance bar in the product category, I would hope it is competitive with more expensive products like the aforementioned ARC ref 5se and AEstheix Callisto. No doubt the TAS review I’ll shed some light on whether or not this is the case.

As good as PS product can be,it will never be at the top of the heap. I believe when you design to a price point you will always be constrained to what can be done in the world of high-end audio. Paul,keep on keeping on. I do love my DS and thank-you for it...happy-132_gif

I think it would be unrealistic to expect it to beat some $40k two box amp build by a manufacturer that has been in the tube preamp game for decades. BUT if you can’t be competitive with more expensive amps it would be a me too product, which is not what ps audio is about.

We didn’t actually build to a price point - though the opposite is true - we didn’t force every dollar we could on it. There’s setting a budget–don’t spend more than this–and then there’s making a conscious decision to set a high price point–what can we do to justify a $40,000 price point?

Our directive to Bascom was simple. Design the very best preamplifier you know how and make it fit into this box. He had full carte blanche after that - and he spent far more than we would ever have imagined.