PS Audio Music Server In The Pipeline?

No, unfortunately not. The problem is (and always has been) that the drive does not give us back the actual numerical ID of the disc which we could then use to search Musicbrainz to get a match. What it does reliably give us is the track numbers and what metadata
is on the disc itself. So the drive will display track title and number.

Hi Paul,

I am not very sure whether I am getting the point ā€˜drive does not give the disc IDā€™ right.

In my experience, last 2-3 yrs DMP gives me the metadata from Music Brainz correctly including the album art. I have so far tried this for around 100 odd discs. So I am assuming DMPā€™s drive gets the ID correct.

My Uniti Core (Naim) server does the same without any error. So I am assuming the same there too.

Regards,
Sourav

One of the beauties of spinning disks, is to have the artwork at hand.

On streamers that might be different. Maybe! As you typically have the artwork on your portable operating device like smartphone or pad.

So for players, transports or streamers a artwork display is not a buy argument for me.

Rather a major annoyance when it doesnā€™t work or you need to manually match all metadata and a lot of patience in order to make it work.

So a in my opinion It is a really good decision to get rid of that function which does not add anything to sound quality. On the contrary, the required circuit that potentially creates noise might even have a negative impact on sound quality.

Luckily for those where cover art on the display of their Direct Stream Memory Player works they can hold on to their DMP.

1 Like

My favorite DMP screen state:

9 Likes

Ditto. Works best, sounds best. Though, I donā€™t
do artwork, and as a whole, has been faster, better, after the latest upgrade.

It must take a noble character to like a huge, high resolution, relatively expensive but rather useless color display.

I certainly could not appreciate it, if it has it itā€™s got to work.

Otherwise I much prefer the simple 7 digit display on my CD player. It does little but show track number, time played and/or time remaining but it does it well, flawless and without hassle.
That is the most important thing I appreciate in a user interface.

2 Likes

I could care less about the album art showing up on a screen to
far away from me to really see, and donā€™t really care if my iPad
displays the artwork.

I believe you have just described the interface in the upcoming spinner.

Nothing noble about it. Just am not interested in displays except when theyā€™re telling me something I want to know at the moment. Also donā€™t care about color, mostly. I donā€™t tend to look at this stuff after the first few days of ownership. Just listen to it.

7 Likes

Ha, you are using the same cutting boards I use (with Isoacoustic footers) under my amps!

1 Like

A Scott McG joint. $17 each at IKEA. Laminated bamboo. Except for the TT one in the other rack, which is maple.

3 Likes

Remember though that the screen is reflectiveā€¦ may want to dress before snapping the shot next time :astonished:

ā€œā€¦a babyā€™s arm holding an appleā€

The Tubes - What do you Want from Life?

Love the many IKEA cutting boards, Beef. Looks like my setup. Except much higher end.

Regarding the reflective screen, I should complain to management! :grin:
Chas

1 Like

The Octave Server presents some very exciting possibilities. I think there is a chance that it will bring to the mainstream (at least for us audio dorks) the question of what role a computer has on sound quality (including the software running on it - Iā€™m talking about you, Roon). For example, the $6K price tag makes the dCS Network Bridge a more affordable option, as long as the system includes a network with a computer serving up music files (something most of us dorks already have, I assume). Will Roon be what allows the Octave Server to sound better? Will the removal of the computer from the audio rack allow the dCS to sound better? What role will the I2S interface play in these comparisons?

Another example: The cost of the DS Sr. plus the cost of the Octave Server gets us into dCS BartĆ³k territory. Darko puts the BartĆ³k in a higher playing field than the DS Sr. Will the Octave Server level that field?

Since it is very unlikely that I would ever be able to make those comparisons, I have to ask myself, which reviewer(s) do I want on that job? My short list would be Atkinson, Darko, and Fremer, not necessarily in that order.

For what itā€™s worth, I hope the current discussion at PS Audio doesnā€™t result in scuttling the Bridge III. I can see myself paying $1K for a capable streamer that edges out a direct USB connection with the NUC server. Given the choice between $4K for the dCS and $6K for the Octave, I think Iā€™d gamble on the dCS. Yes, the Octave comes with the software layer, too, but giving up on Roon opens the field even more.

Iā€™m very excited about Octave exposing Roonā€™s SQ deficiencies. I havenā€™t done comparisons with other software, but I can readily hear the problems added by Roonā€™s DSP options. Most folks who have done the comparisons seem to say there is more there to expose.

I canā€™t wait!

1 Like

As the former owner of the Bridge II, I would welcome the Bridge III if it gave me added flexibility and sounded better than the Bridge II. I would still love the option of at least a Roon End Point in it. I own Lifetime Roon, so itā€™s going to have to be a home run for Octave if Iā€™m going to invest in it. As for Roon, my Roon ROCK server hands a decent signal to my DSD so Iā€™m happy. I donā€™t bother with DSP.

The Octave is not going to be Roon Ready. The dCS Bartok is a small form unit (dCS) as it is designed for headphone listening. There is a lot packed in it and of course it is based on the ringDAC, so Iā€™m not surprised Darko rates it above DS Sr. The Octave has a hard drive, so for comparison you would be comparing a DS Sr + Bridge + Octave to a Bartok + Innous Zen, which in the UK would cost the sale (about Ā£12,000). The difference is that the lack of Roon in Octave and the DS Sr does not have a headphone output. Iā€™ve never had an issue with Roon DSP/filters as Iā€™ve never used them. There is a very nice review of the Bartok and Sasha DAW here:

1 Like

I might have my information mixed up about the Octave. It is my understanding that the Octave will not require a Bridge card to send a digital signal to the DS Sr. It looks like the Octave will be an alternative to the Bridge cards. Also, the Bartok has a UPNP streamer built in it, so the Innous unit wouldnā€™t be necessary. Take that Innous out of the comparison, and the prices are pretty damned close.

I donā€™t really have a dog in that race, though. Iā€™m keeping the DS Sr. for many years, if not until I go tits-up. Itā€™s the dCS Network Bridge that could give the Octave some competition, since it is cheaper, and a music server isnā€™t exactly rocket science to set up. In all honesty, though, Iā€™m really hoping that the $150 Pi2AES HAT will compete well with all of them! As Tom Waits sings, ā€œYouā€™re innocent when you dreamā€¦ā€

1 Like

The Octave is a music server competing directly with the likes of Aurender. Given that it is a music server we would connect to a DAC via USB, SPDIF, etc.