PS Audio Music Server In The Pipeline?

I’m using Roon as my library and control, but it’s sending audio via LMS to a SqueezeBox Touch that’s connected optically to my DS. Best of both worlds or would you imagine it hamstrung by the SBT and optical? :slight_smile:

Interesting observation as I am testing out a Neculus+ connected directly to my DSD via a USB cable. I had been using Bridge II card and at this point I probably will not go back to the Bridge II. But will just have to wait and see. I’m currently getting great results.

Try to get a streamer as a Roon endpoint between the Nucleus+ and the DSD. Something like the SOtM, or Sonore. The Bridge II is not a great solution and easy to be topped.

You might consider changing your user name to avoid confusion.

@alexreusch Sorry but been down that path. I took the advice from this board and tried the opticalRendu from Sonore. It was supposed to be the next coming of slice bread. I sent it back. It was a nice unit but not enough for me to replace the Bridge II card. Now do I believe there are options that are better than the Bridge II card, sure. But if I am going to spend upwards of 5K+ on a streamer, power supply, plus all of the other gadgets that are suppose to improve the sound, I need to consider an upgrade to the DAC as well.

2 Likes

Agree with the sentiment…

Moreover, FWIW, the persistent “conventional wisdom “ often stated on these fora that the PSA Bridge II is an inherently inferior performer is not based in fact. There are superior options, but that fact does not mean the Bridge is a poor performer, generally.

Does my opinion make sense/ring true to you?

Cheers.

2 Likes

Yes I believe you can always find something that is different. Determining if it is better or worse is a different story. I have been pleased with the Bridge II card to the point that it seems I need to make a decent cash investment to improve on it.

2 Likes

Agree with you Micheal, I thought my Bridge II was good; but snobby me, after reading the 3000+ replies in the Matrix … topic, spent a whole lot of money for a slight to better improvement in SQ. I am very happy though.
Chas

2 Likes

Serious question: why is it useless, @Elk? [If you’ve explained elsewhere and I missed it, my apologies.]

I have no interest in Qobuz.

Okay, well, from a guy who is normally very forthcoming, that doesn’t tell me much. :slightly_smiling_face: :beers:
Im sure you’ve heard all the arguments, so I’ll be brief. And you may have even tried it thoroughly and decided it’s not for you. Your call. Still, the library is large, and it’s not (for me) curated in a way like Tidal that I did not enjoy. Integrates well with Roon, esp. Radio (may not matter). Ive been exposed to so much music I would not have otherwise known or enjoyed thanks to Roon Radio and Qobuz, that the economics are almost irrelevant.

I’ve got almost 100,000 music files ripped from my own discs, but with an increasing number from downloads. Qobuz downloads can be very. very good (but not all of them), and the economics of their premium model, especially if one purchases just one album a month, are fairly compelling.

To each their own of course!

2 Likes

Has anyone got an idea how much approximately the music server will cost?

I believe slightly above 6K?

1 Like

I remember when I too felt that way. I am so glad I don’t feel that way anymore!

Library selection not to your liking? It’s a good service for me, but if the library selections don’t match your liking, OR if you have so much music you don’t need it, that makes sense too…it’s a lot less expensive than purchasing, but you don’t own the music.

But don’t forget that Qobuz does have a purchasing/download/ownership option. Purchases are DRM-free, and if you are a Sublime subscriber, an increasing number of titles are significantly discounted.

5 Likes

How significant are the discounts?

30-60%. I’ve seen the full range.

1 Like

That is indeed significant.

Thanks

1 Like

A couple of albums I just bought were ~$18 ea without Sublime and ~$10 ea with. I do not have Sublime but may buy enough music from them to make it worth the upgrade when my annual contract comes due.