PS Audio Music Server In The Pipeline?

I don’t but if I do it will be qobuz most likely, that’s a healthy discount too. I just had a quick search and found they have for example Cate Ferris,Green tea Peng,and Emily Hall, none of them mainstream, or even supported by a record company in Cate’s case.
…and LMS has qobuz integration now, which rims well I have been told :slight_smile:

Amy thoughts here on their artist remuneration rates though?

I don’t have any knowledge of how much they pay the artists. Hopefully it is a respectful fee.

1 Like

i hope so too. i’ve stuck with Bandcamp where possible but so very many artists are not on there (bigger label stuff i guess)

google says it is low in streams, in line with other services, but encourages purchases downloads which is better for the artists.
DRM free purchases suggests they will work forever rather than needing a continuing subscription which is good :slight_smile:

1 Like

Qobuz pays the best of the streaming services at $0.04390 per stream, but this remains tiny, and Qobuz’s share of the streaming market is minuscule.

See, The Trichordist, Artists For An Ethical and Sustainable Internet.

3 Likes

The think I like about Qobuz i was a US introductory customer. After they shaved 5 bucks A month of introductory price. Oui Oui

1 Like

They also offer different prices depending on the download format. Lower bitrate files are less money. Overall Roon with a Qobuz subscription is a really good product.

2 Likes

Notice that Innuos are now offering an 8TB SSD!!
Wonder what influence this will have on the Octave player?
Now there is some food for thought!!!
Bruce

2 Likes

The 1 TB that PS Audio is planning for the Octave is definitely not future proof for people with huge ripped CD collections, digitized vinyl and purchased high res files who keep exploring new music.

The External drive options proposed till now by PS Audio open another Pandora’s box for extra power supplies and connection cables. So external drives are not an option for an investment in equipment north of EUR 2000. Anno 2020, external drives are features for cheap server add ons in integrated equipment and raspberry Pi’s, not for serious server/streamers.

1 Like

I expect one can choose and/or install more internal memory than 1TB. Keep n mind the amount of standard internal memory has not been established.

Also, USB external drives are powered via the USB port, thus not requiring “extra power supplies.”

Octave will also connect to a NAS.

We get it, you do not want an Octave. No need to worry; no one will force you to buy one.

Hi Elk I hope you ate right that when the Octave player is going to launched customers can choose internal storage size.

Maybe I misunderstood, but when I asked Jamesh and Paul were adement that it’s 1 TB SSD for the Octave player and the only flexibility would be external USB drive.

You’ve got to keep up.

The Taiko Extreme has up to 24TB of internal storage, PCIe that apparently is much faster and low noise than SSD.

This “pipeline” is 4 years old - servers have moved on a lot since then.

2 Likes

Yes, there are many server options and configurations. So?

The point is, one of the the worst nightmare in IT is running out of storage, which is why there is a market and customer request for flexible internal storage.

PS Audio can do with this feedback what they want, but a 1 TB limit in storage in a ultra high resolution music server is not what I would pay US 6k or more for. Too much risk with uncompressed high res files to run out of storage.

Hello Innuos, hello Auralic, and all the other servers with flexible internal storage options.

You keep forgetting no decision has been made as to the amount of internal storage, and the unit will access anything you happen to have on your network, etc. You will not run out of storage space.

You keep bitterly discounting a unit which does not exist - with imaginary criticisms. Silly.

And keep in mind the Taiko Extreme Steven mentions is around $30,000. :slight_smile:

I have 20 TB music storage. From my point of view, internal storage is meaningless generally (except if you store MP3 format or listen to a bunch of test albums mainly :wink: ). To be able connect external storage is the main concept imo. Multiply the cost of an SSD with the factor the manufacturers use to build their MSRP”s and you know what you could save from the 6k if this was left out. 600$?

I am providing this feedback because PS Audio have not decided yet. Hope they take it on board.

That is an impressive library Jazznut!

I have read so many reviews of streamers and servers and those that compare internally stored music to externally stored music confirm that SQ of internal storage media sounded better.

Mind you though, I now stream CD quality, 16 bit 44.1 kHz, converted to 48 kHz, from my iMac on the second floor via my Apple TV in the living room on the ground floor. HDMI to my AV Receiver. It works fine but the BlueRay disc player, also HDMI into the receiver, and I can hear a better sound from the CD.

PS Audio and any high end unit should either have at least 4tb, preferably 8tb, internal storage or none at all (like Linn and dCS) and work as a network server.

One of the first ever audio server/streamers was the Meridian Sooloos, I looked at buying it almost 15 years ago. It was a great product but only had 500gb storage and in those days the largest files were 16/44. I thought it was too little. The people who designed it went on to better things, creating Roon.

1tb really is worse than pointless and I hope that decision is changed, but it was firm a while ago.

1 Like