Quote of the Day

“Your music can never be more or less than you are as a human being”.

• Nadia Boulanger
2 Likes

Not sure I understand that, is it only for those who make music or does ones taste in or enjoyment of music fit into the statement?

She was referring to composers, conductors, musicians.

She taught many of the leading conductors, composers and musicians of the 20th century. Influential only begins to capture her influence.

1 Like

On further thought, if one has a deep connection to music it could apply to listeners.

In speaking with dancers, including a family member who dances ballet, they have varying approaches to the music to which they dance. Some have intimate relationships. For others, it is a tool akin to a painter’s pigments; necessary, and quality matters, but merely a means to expression, a leaping off point.

Thanks for the question. It makes me think.

“I like snow, but enough already”
Ron the shoveler

6 Likes

“The best that most of us can achieve in physics is simply to misunderstand at a deeper level” - Wolfgang Pauli
I wonder if we substitute Audio for Physics it is still a valid statement?

4 Likes
  1. “Life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans.”
  • John Lennon
4 Likes

Don’t play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

Harry Vardon

1 Like

My friend is an avid golfer. His friend asked him how he liked the game. He said “I play in the low '70’s”. His friend said “That’s a good score isn’t it?” My friend said “That’s not my score. I don’t play unless it’s in the low '70’s outside.”

1 Like

“we live in a world where honesty counts as weakness and liars are carried on hands”

no, it’s older than just 4 years…it’s from Albert Einstein :wink:

I do not believe this is an Einstein quote, citation?

I think you may be right that it’s falsely attributed to Einstein.

Although it’s so often cited that there are stickers and similar available, it seems to be fake more probably than not.

https://www.google.com/search?q=einstein+%22wir+leben+in+einer+welt,+wo+ehrlichkeit%22&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiW4YnY0djuAhVG-qQKHYTUB6MQ_AUoAXoECBwQAw&biw=1261&bih=1644&dpr=2

1 Like

I did not think to search in German! I should have. :slight_smile:

You should move, bruh.

Boulder? Boulderado used to be my home away from home.

Yeah, but it was 60 here today with no snow down here on the high plains. The Boulderado is cool, if old-fashioned. This area is my version of Florida. 300 sunny days a year. But with Seasons.

1 Like

Quote of the week:
“What we’ve lost — and all the accompanying grief — can’t be captured by numbers: It’s individual, nuanced, and ever-changing. It will take years for women to fully return to the workforce, likely to lower wages. The damage will be long term.”

— Angela Garbes, author of Like a Mother , in “The Numbers Don’t Tell the Whole Story

“Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages.”

1 Like
  • Edison

If that quote is from Edison I guess he didn’t have too many issues electrocuting elephants to prove his DC power system was the “best” and “safest”. What a hypocrite.