Quote of the Day

This is the former Eagles cornerback Eric Allen?

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

6 Likes

9 Likes

“To escape the cacophony of voices proclaiming a thousand different truths is not just a moment of calm; it is essential to the protection of the self.” - Christopher P. Jones

4 Likes

“Anxiety is the dizziness of freedom.”
― Søren Kierkegaard

3 Likes

11 Likes

“People who know little are usually great talkers, while men who know much say little.” - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

9 Likes

One must take extreme care when writing a famous quote you wish to have as a tattoo!

Note Artistic license still applies even at the tattoo parlor.

English author Edward Bulwer-Lytton in 1839 , indicating that the written word is more effective than violence as a means of social or political change.

6 Likes

“3 o’clock in the afternoon is always too early or too late to do anything.”
Jean-Paul Sartre

1 Like

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
– Charles Bukowski

4 Likes

Ain’t that the truth! And I am ABSOLUTELY SURE OF THAT.

Wait…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives.” - Thoreau

A good 'un - but frankly that worries me nowadays what with the Twittering and YouTubing of our thoughts. I mean, the guy didn’t even have a radio or TV on Walden Pond :man_shrugging:t2:

You’re absolutely correct. Some words (written or spoken) are utilized to ‘evacuate’ thoughts and feelings, as opposed to capture and communicate mental events. Words can be experienced, and used relationally, as concrete objects. Not as symbolic carriers of meaning. Sadly, we witness words-as-actions more frequently nowadays.

1 Like

Way back when, I imagine he was referring to what one chooses to contemplate when silent and in isolation. Now it is the “thoughts we wish to dominate our lives” by virtue of what we click on the most.

“The more money you spend on cables, the better your stereo sounds”

-me

2 Likes

Don’t let anyone tell you how to play your guitar, Jack.

• Prince (from his only meeting with Jack White)
1 Like

" The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity"

W. B. Yeats - The Second Coming

3 Likes

Despite all his failings, Bukowski was an avid reader of the classics. I wouldn’t be the least surprised if he ‘reinterpreted’ Yeats when emerging from one of his many ‘lost episodes’.
As Yogi Berra of the NY Yankees once stated, ‘It’s Deja Vu All Over Again’. :wink:

1 Like

Silence (by yourself or in the presence of a trusted-other) allows one to notice ‘What comes to Mind’, pleasurable or painful. Invites reflection on its meaning. External stimulation, in today’s world - bombardment - defends against possible introspection. It guarantees one reacts, rarely reflects. It’s a problem, no question. But for many, a solution.

I love this one because it is SO TRUE. Inexplicably😝

:tipping_hand_man:t2:

I guess it is like the persistent feeling of the particular vibes of the week/workweek/weekend even if we are no longer consistently engaged or bound by it.

1 Like