Quote of the Day

"Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it.
George Orwell (roughly 70 years ago!)

6 Likes

Aristotle on Time:

"To start, then: the following considerations would make one suspect that it either does not exist at all or barely, and in an obscure way.

One part of it has been and is not, while the other is going to be and is not yet."

1 Like

Another perspective:

“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me;
For now hath time made me his numbering clock”

• Shakespeare, Richard II
1 Like

Sounds like Aristotle was stoned.
RonP

Or Buddhist, or both. I thought it was remarkably clear and accurate. Those Greeks were on it.

We’re always remembering and/or imagining/projecting. The sense of time being like some sort of “film” is an illusion.

1 Like

“Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.”
― Frank Zappa

2 Likes

“Alimony is like buying hay for a dead horse”
Marx
no, Groucho

2 Likes

“Seventy percent of success in life is showing up.”

• Woody Allen
4 Likes

“When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That’s relativity.” -
Albert Einstein

4 Likes

“Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.”

• Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
4 Likes

“The only difference between reality and fiction is, fiction has to make sense” - Tom Clancy

4 Likes

“There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we’d all love one another.”
― Frank Zappa

4 Likes

It’s all about sound. It’s that simple. Wireless is wireless, and it’s digital. Hopefully somewhere along the line somebody will add more ones to the zeros. When digital first started, I swear I could hear the gap between the ones and the zeros.

Eddie Van Halen

4 Likes

“Every artist was first an amateur.”

• Ralph Waldo Emerson
3 Likes

“Don’t torture yourself Gomez, that’s my job.”
-Morticia Addams

7 Likes

“Pins and needles, needles and pins, it’s a happy man that grins.”

Ralph Kramden

1 Like

…“I see” said the blind man who picked up the the hammer and saw
to the deaf mute who picked up the the wheel and spoke…

1 Like

“There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

Frank Zappa

1 Like

“Oh …a wise guy eh…?”

1 Like

“Life does not stop and start at your convenience, you miserable piece of s***”
. . . . Walter Sobchak