Ram Disk Or SD Card? Anyone playing from this?

Ok , well for me I will set up the nas I bought. It was a week of hell for me up at 4 am home by 5 or 6. Last night I was cooked mentally. The weekend is here and later I will take a ride to my office with my grandson and start to play . Up Pwd as well, and yes I will format the card first, although I have not had any issues …

Thanks for the idea .

Al D

So what are you thinking Mr PITA? It sounds like there are two main options:

1) Start a program in RAM, but not the OS: In the PCWorld article it sounded like you use existing on-board RAM that becomes optimised by a program whose performance you want to optimise. So for example a windows 8 machine would boot normally, but would put JRMC into RAM. Correct?

2) Start the OS (and perhaps a program) in on-board RAM.

3) Use a small memory device: You mention booting Mac OS from an SD card. Did you also know that it is supposed to be possible to make Windows 8 bootable from a USB? Have a look here for example:http://www.guidingtech.com/10026/create-bootable-windows-8-usb-drive-iso-image/

I haven’t tried it, but maybe will over the holidays.

@dcastle

Yah, seems like there is a path here worth investigating.

I guess the equivalent would be a NAS with SD “drive” running a player.

So the os runs fast and storage on an ext or other local drive.

Low power consumption and lightning response.

What are you going to try first?

For me I think I would try getting a pared-down version of Win8 to boot from a USB to see if that frees up resources for JRMC and keeps the system quieter. Then I’d try the RAM drive to get the computer to load JRMC to operate from RAM.

I’ve been waiting for a new Mac mini to come out and will probably wait for it and just pop in an sd card. That is what my friend did and it is just so easy.

Having moved from the city a few years ago I have less Audio buds close by that help make the hacking and experimenting more fun. Hence,I get to live out some of my fantasies here. =))

when is the new mini coming out?

Just a dumb question. But a nas to me isas simple as possible only draw back is the drive being SSD and not ram. So is it possible to use a ram drive in a nas?? And wouldn’t this be the simplest and fastest drive.

@dcastle

It is the only model not yet announced.

Hoping for Q1/14.

@ALRAINBOW

Sure.

If you run a NAS without raid then it is simply a computer to serve you what is stored in it.

It simply becomes a “smart” external drive.

So if the NAS or Mini computer runs a “lean” and purposefully designed OS, then Bingo you have a music server, not unlike many others, but hopefully running on sd memory card instead of a standard HD.

This is sounding more and more like the Silent Server we dreamed about in ancient history.

Unlike Sonos, most Audiophiles are less interested in multi-room systems than in the SQ of the MAIN system.

This is why W4S, Rendu, etc have built “music servers”.

I never bought one because I still see them as “mid-Fi” all purpose components rather than the soon to be famous “XXXxxxXX-99” minimal link to my hard drive storage of music. The “convenience” factor has blinded us because it makes for good marketing press.

I am actively seeking an engineering partner to build it. Anyone interested?

I see the set ups I wire up and you are correct, mostly complex multi room systems and midfield at best. When the tech,s show up to program and tweet I ask and listen and I am amazed of the poor sound quality .

Even in the dedicated media rooms. The.

Video is what they want . I guess for most you can see video and sound although we all hear it, it is something that must be learned or taught. I in stall wiring for systems that are hundreds of thousands of dollars. Here is food for thought as what I see video is far ahead of sound, do you agree??

@ALRAINBOW

Perhaps the “perception” is way ahead since video seems to be a stronger attention magnet then audio.

I was always disappointed with even Expensive home theater installations since they seemed to be designed for overflying aircraft and Terminator chase scenes than live music performances.

I love to sit and watch a concert video and well produced stereo is fine for my enjoyment.

I think that concert videos however, treat the SQ as somewhat of an afterthought so let’s hope that some day in the future they merge the qualities.

As for the wiring… Sorry to put a damper on your income but for main Audio set ups I am a believer that discrete Wireless will be the next BIG thing and with AWESOME SQ and a big savings in cables.

you have a great wit about you. its only a small part of my income, and there is more and more wireless. but I will say this wires work all the time the wireless is very convenient and in some ways greatly simplifies the install unless its a pwd with a bridge lol… even the speakers are ok.

I did a job a while ago the couple had speakers in the walls and ceiling in the sheetrock . they sounded ok too…

Al

By the way, it sounds like you are doing security wiring too.

Are you working with any equipment from “ELK” Alarms?

No connection to OUR ELK.

No sorry sir . I do intercom/ sec cameras and life safety meaning fire alarm systems . Not alarms like ADT .

Who is elk alarms ??

And keyless entry forgot?. Well elk is a reall company and looks like all aspects of security too nice.

We have our hooves in everything . . .

Lol. Yes poop too…

Al D

My bro was the Central and South America distributor for DSC [ bought by Tyco along with ADT]

There was a company called MOOSE that was also bought by someone.

He reopened under the name ELK and they make some very nice equipment that integrates with home automation like insteon, Zwave etc. Much cheaper than a Crestron set up.

I have my system set to play a recording of growling hungry rottweilers if the alarm goes off.

@ALRAINBOW
Sure.
If you run a NAS without raid then it is simply a computer to serve you what is stored in it.
It simply becomes a "smart" external drive.
So if the NAS or Mini computer runs a "lean" and purposefully designed OS, then Bingo you have a music server, not unlike many others, but hopefully running on sd memory card instead of a standard HD.
This is sounding more and more like the Silent Server we dreamed about in ancient history.

Unlike Sonos, most Audiophiles are less interested in multi-room systems than in the SQ of the MAIN system.
This is why W4S, Rendu, etc have built "music servers".
I never bought one because I still see them as "mid-Fi" all purpose components rather than the soon to be famous "XXXxxxXX-99" minimal link to my hard drive storage of music. The "convenience" factor has blinded us because it makes for good marketing press.
I am actively seeking an engineering partner to build it. Anyone interested?

I am intrigued by your idea Gordon, although I don't have the expertise or knowledge to assist you in your quest.

I understand your arguments here about mid-fi, although you could make the same argument about all computer based audio solutions, including the bridge. One clear school of thought is that more processing power or better utilisation of the processor leads to better SQ. I believe this is true to a point.

However, if you look at the best sounding computer audio components, discrete power regulation is the key to better SQ. In my head, the order of best to worst SQ options goes like this:

Aurender W20 > Bryston BDP2 > W4S Server / NAS to bridge > dedicated computer (win 8 > mac > win 7).

This is just my preferences, having heard all of the above. The improvements, as I see them, relate to the attention applied to power supply regulation. If your project gets up and running I'd like to hear your results and impressions.

One more idea gorden. It may be a good idea and if implemented I am sure there will be a market for you ram or sd idea. Where you money marketing idea go south is proprietary software to run the system you are planning. And after that people who understand will copy. The music servers in systems I install the wiring for use interfaces with companies like crestron and mostly use spin drives for both audio and video.

What we want is ultra audio , when I searched top tear music servers some had spin drives and used the SSD to be like ram and send to processors to system . All the interface is setup to work with systems software. Although I think it’s a great idea . As for the barking dogs that is funny and I new somebody years ago in Brooklyn that had that, funny …

AlD