Ram Disk Or SD Card? Anyone playing from this?

I use Windows server with Samsung SSD as a system disk and regular HDDs for music files. I tried playing the same music from HDD and SSD. SQ was much better playing from SSD, especially with cymbals. I then started Fidelizer, SQ is even better and I cannot tell the difference between HDD and SSD anymore.

Forgot to mention, I tried it with jRiver.

Wow this has many options to play with !!! May I ask what is fidlelizer ??

alrainbow said: May I ask what is fidlelizer ??

he he he
This forum will make you crazy, Al.

My goal for "The Box" is to be small, low power consumption, external PSU, no cooling fan, able to run a simple OS or WIN/OSX if preferred, fast HD, network connected, external storage.
I wonder if a Raspberry board would be enough?
If we can put together a list of what it needs to do [ minimal but essential features] I may be able to entice someone to make it for us.
Sort of an audiophile version of THIS.
http://www.tonidoplug.com/tonido_plug.html

@alrainbow: Fidelizer is a utility that optimizes Windows for audio. You run it after you load up your player software each time that you reboot your computer. It shuts down many Windows and second party services that run in the background as well as doing some other “things” that improve the environment for audio. It offers several levels of tweaks, including the turning off of networking services if you choose. It is safe and people get good results, generally.

Fidelizer

The Mac/MavericsOsx version DIY

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/audio-optimization-guide-for/id744127275?mt=11

That Fidel thing sounds cool, something like wasabi , but more involved then. Is there settings for CPU type,ram, os system ?? Type of audio connection ??

I have the stuff for the nas sitting on my office couch. I first need to install the drive in my CPU and check for firmware updates as it cam with a cd. And no I did not look what was on dc it’s still raped up lol.

@gordon I was tempted to do what you say. I’d use Intel Atom with passive cooler and would setup all the linux stuff around.

I have never got to start this project it as I was not sure about the I2S sound card I should choose which would work flawlessly with PWD.

One thing - I would try to avoid using JRMC on that PC. I believe the pc connected to PWD should have no graphical interface with bloated software as JRMC is - simply to avoid any unimportant load on the CPU. My path would be MPD or similar minimalistic player which can be controlled remotely. It would cache play listed files on internal SSD in uncompressed form (as Intel Atom architecture allows max 4GB of RAM which would be not enough for larger playlists / HiRes data).

Maybe if more forum members put our heads together we may find out something and this would also work as positive motivation (i’m currently quite OK with my setup as I am not missing gapless to much :slight_smile: and to be honest one factor that I never had started progress was laziness / other priorities (small children etc :slight_smile: ) )

alrainbow said: Is there settings for CPU type,ram, os system ?? Type of audio connection ??

Download the program and find out. It's free.

@maniac

cool ideas.

You have more direct knowledge than I.

I just play with concepts and see where they go.

I do like the idea of simplicity but also the ability to add to it based on needs, and upgrade ability.

The closest I’ve seen are the new SYN NAS boxes but they are still full of raid and back up programs.

Internet connect-ability for radio and meta download would also be nice.

Ok so I too must be a tester that is fair enough

Al D

Others here have used the program and have liked it. I have not so all I can suggest is to dive in and try it. :slight_smile:

@maniac jRiver has a media server that keeps running when you close the GUI application. Menu: Tools->Advanced Tools->Media Server

@gordon - i would avoid any NAS like device when we are talking about i2s because it have to be placed close to PWD and I have not yet seen silent NAS .

But of course, if someone would spend enough $$ on SSD disks it would be possible to have passively cooled machine with bunch of SSD disks (usually max 3-4 on Intel Atom platform though) close to the PWD.

I would still prefer to have data somewhere else (NAS in the basement or so) and I2S player with Linear PSU close to the PWD. Linear PSU mainly for the reason to not bring pollution into audio power branch.

Just like our threads, he he, we can get lost in the details and sometimes forget our goals.

We used to love having our gear on display in the listening area. The more we chat about this I begin to wonder, Where we started.

Do we want

1/ the Best SQ?

2/ the Quietest equipment?

3/ minimal visible equipment?

They all Today perhaps require different solutions.

We appear to have the POWER issue addressed ( today’s standards) by p10.p5’p3 etc.

My preference, of course is all THREE.

Where do I start.

At the moment my rig sounds very good and is very quiet. ( P10,mini, ext LaCie drives, PWD, Pre, Amp And speakers.

Oh yes, and a snake pit of cables.

My Ultimate would be a P10 and two active speakers connected by one cat 6 cable or even Super Wireless.

Imagine how clean that would look.

How do I get there without forgetting objective #1?

Obviously, since I do not own active speakers, I need to use some of what I already have.

Removing my pre was not a good SQ solution. That leaves only the silent mini and ext drives ( powered by wall warts) to hide somewhere and the cables or wifi required to connect them.

The Sonore solutions put yet again another box and power supply(s) in the pudding.

Here is where we make a choice between Ultimate SQ and cleaner eye candy.

Personally, for hi-res SQ I feel we have no choice (today) but to integrate player and storage into our main audiophile systems.

So, I wish to replace my mini with a tweaked player box and plug my ext drives into it. Box to PWD should also be BEST possible connector.

Power supplies for mini and storage should be separate and optimal.

This will hold me until I get AUDIOPHILE ACTIVE SPEAKERS WITH EVERYTHING IN THEM EXCEPT THE POWER SUPPLIES.

alrainbow said: Is there settings for CPU type,ram, os system ?? Type of audio connection ??

The author does not specify just exactly what it does.
Gordon said: . . . AUDIOPHILE ACTIVE SPEAKERS WITH EVERYTHING IN THEM EXCEPT THE POWER SUPPLIES.

WHY NOT INCLUDE THE POWER SUPPLIES IN THE SPEAKERS?

I’m thinking for two reasons. One shielding from the transformer. But I guess some lead would be good enough. The next is size, and last the weight . If they are floor standing why not . But bookshelf many not.

Thinking about it all my subs have it all inside ??? Not sure then.

I suppose switching supplies , with a CPU controller, might do. Good shielding too.

I am not a designer but only from reading they are noisy.