Realistic Cymbals/ hi hats?

I’m 44

1 Like

It could still be age related - look things up and you’ll see that you’re likely to be a few db down at high frequency and cutoff, maybe around 15khz.

I just got an LP out that I used to love when I was 20 - whether I play the track I like from LP or CD the chick of the hihat is no longer there (the system is very different and way better).

1 Like

As a drummer, I have to agree with JWL that cymbals (and the entire drum kit) rarely sound real on recordings. Possible explanations all through the chain. Probably very difficult to record and more difficult to playback due to the transients and dynamic range needed. I can always tell if what I’m hearing outside a venue is live or canned by the drums. Maybe music room 2 would fool me?

I was a drummer also. One of the live recordings that I’ve recently recommended (because it’s really tight) is Corinne Bailey Rae Live In New York (I have the CD but it’s on Spotify - I don’t know about higher res streaming services). I like the tracks Till It Happens To You and Choux Pastry Heart - the bass player and drummer work really well together.

I also had the Aerius after my first audiophile speaker (Maggie SMGa), which were better finally than several followers. The Aerius was more detailed and faster but less coherent and still too limited in bass. Then the SL3, which were the same just quite a bit bigger sounding. I also heard the CLS at some occasions (rather a tweeter/midrange combination) and the later biggest hybrid of which I forgot the name.

Actually “etched” was not what I meant, for me, critically seen, the panel’s treble was too polite dynamically, had much resolution and speed but in relation little body and couldn’t properly reproduce the cymbals metallic character and sounded a bit as if the cymbals were out of plastic instead of metal to me.

Non critically seen, this is a very audiophile and quite pleasant sounding character and without comparison one can stay happy with this quite long. But it doesn’t sound real to me.

I agree with your “edged” description in case the room is rather non damped. To my ears (different than Maggies), Logan panels of the time didn’t sound rich but a bit shy in lower treble, which made them sound so detailed on top. But it could easily get unpleasant in hard wall’ed rooms.

I think they might still work for me in an environment where I can only use very low levels, but not as soon as realistic levels and dynamics begin to rule.

Just my memory.

So true…a drum kit doesn’t sound audiophile, it just sounds straight and direct.

Would be interested if you have recordings in mind with real sounding drums.

This here is good, but due to the impressing 3D room sound, less direct and too audiophile, too.

This track has so much groove and energy, also in drums, I love it.

My digital reference for cymbals for about 30 years has been Elton John’s Rocket Man. I’ll never forget the time in the early 90s I first heard them sound right (Audio Alchemy). Seems like cymbals and piano are where the rubber meets the road.

1 Like

This one is on my soundcheck list for cymbals.

1 Like

Vintage Infinity!

Yes, but bass is even more expensive to get right. It’s just not so obvious for many if it’s too undefined or just dry and too little organic.

2 Likes

Wasn’t recommending a specific brand of speakers because there are a number which use beryllium drivers. I just suggest listening to them because their light rigid and dampening characteristics would be well suited to the realistic sound you are looking for. I use speakers with beryllium tweeters and midrange drivers.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for the replies and songs that I can test out on my system. I found another tool for myself. I have my DAC also running to my Drop THX AAA 789 headphone amp, which is supposed to purely amplify, not color.

Absolutely, and bass is important for the entire music reproduction.

It might be that even the cimbals improve with an improved bass reproduction.

It is indeed rather difficult and can be a huge cost issue to find speakers with bass response that match the room well for good sound quality.

I finally found a good spot for my Canton Vento’s that give me a nice bass reproduction in combination with new speaker cables and amplifier. I got cold feet to replace them. They go down to 22 Hz.

Subwoofers are a no go in our limited space living room.

You’re selling the DECWare already?

Unrealistic Cymbals, bruh!:cowboy_hat_face:

• kidding about this - am not expressing any opinion whatsoever with regard to Decware amps and percussion reproduction.

Haha, I forgot you mentioned that your Decware was for sale, but I’m sure if you officially put it up for sale, it’ll sell very quickly. I’ve spent too much money in the past 6 weeks to warrant another purchase. I decided to add another component from the PS Audio line up today, lol. Somebody help me! I don’t want to stop buying stuff, I just need more money.

tired of cat food?

Now spinning

https://www.amazon.com/I-Eat-Cat-Food/dp/B00VSEKGKG

“Everything she’s chosen is conveniently frozen
Eat it and come back for more!”

2 Likes

There’s certainly a lot going on in this recording. Anybody besides me think it sounded like the Beatles at moments?