Well I can’t listen to my Directstream / PrimaLuna with my Focal Clear headphones anymore… too far away. So I need a DAC/Headphone amp at my desk.
What do you recommend?
- Sub $500 total for DAC/amp
- USB to computer
- Plays all (most?) formats (I will be using foobar and playing my library… been buying some HI Res and DSD)… if I had to give up a format, I would give up DSD as 98% of everything I own is PCM.
- Audiophile sound… yea, no cht… but you know what I mean… most inexpensive stuff sounds dead to me… good equipment has that… um… well you know.
- I just need a volume control and unbalanced out… will not power a system, no other interfaces needed in or out.
- Used stuff is fine
- NO Bluetooth or any other gimmicks
- No other inputs needed, no preamp capabilities
I am looking at the usual suspect iFi Zen DAC V2 (not with their amp), maybe a Schiit… I dunno? I hate this mail order-only crap… dang I want to plug in and try 'em out!!!
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)