Reel-To-Reel, really?

With all due respect to Jeff Foxworthy, I offer the following:

If you find that your turntable/vinyl ritual is still lacking in tactile fulfillment, you might appreciate adding a reel-to-reel to your rig.

If you seek the highest form of analog sound reproduction, you might appreciate adding a reel-to-reel to your rig.

If you think $450 - $500 for an excellent sounding LP is money well spent, you might appreciate adding a reel-to-reel to your rig.

If you feel your system is too static and lacks visual stimulation (backlit dancing meters, mesmerizing take-up reels, etc.), you might appreciate adding a reel-to-reel to your rig.

If you began your audio journey prior to the mid-70’s and names like Tandberg, Revox, Studer, Nagra, BASF, Maxell, and TDK sound familiar to you, you might appreciate adding a reel-to-reel to your rig.

If you value quality over quantity regarding source material, you might appreciate adding a reel-to-reel to your rig.

If you feel that listening to an album in any manner other than beginning-to-end is a crime against nature, you might appreciate adding a reel-to-reel to your rig.

If you think the fun of routine maintenance shouldn’t be limited to your car, you might appreciate adding a reel-to-reel to your rig.

If you have more dollars (or euros) than sense :blush: and have exhausted the traditional rabbit holes in this hobby (or have a healthy YOLO life view), you might appreciate adding a reel-to-reel to your rig.

If after all this, you choose to start your reel-to-reel journey I can recommend Tech Trader as a source for a “reasonably” priced deck. All of his products are fully reconditioned to specs equal to or better than new. I purchased my Revox PR99 MK II about four years ago and it has performed flawlessly from day 1. Urs (the owner) is very responsive to questions before and after a sale. I have no affiliation with him or his business other than being a happy customer.

15 Likes

Those of us that own Subarus and Toyotas this might help fill a void.

3 Likes

Your mission, should you choose to accept it… :rofl:

4 Likes

It’s just neat to listen to music watching the reels go around.

1 Like

I do miss it, sort of. When it worked it was great, and when it didn’t… well that’s why I sold it. That and insufficient pre-recorded software.

Most certainly a WOW FACTOR for visiting friends., just like in Pulp Fiction.

4 Likes

Some day. My guru George has two studio grade Studer decks. I don’t think he has used them since he acquired them. Odd.

1 Like

Guilty. I have two Revox machines — a quarter track and a half track. Once or twice a year I pull out my old prerecorded tapes and my old Barclay-Crocker tapes, and revel in the wonderful sound of 30-50 year old tapes!

P.S. the half track was originally intended for preserving my favorite vinyl — an abandoned project.

3 Likes

Nice :slight_smile:

Edit - just realised in my earlier post I referred to “full track” - it’s been a while!

I was of course referring to half track stereo, where the two channels take up the full tape width :slight_smile:

1 Like