RCA to IS2

I have a Teac reel-to-reel with RCA line level outputs. I would like to run it though my Direct Stream Mk I Sr DAC. Could someone recommend an adaptor for me, maybe from Amazon? Thanks.

analog reel-to-reel needs a DAC, which converts digital to analog?

1 Like

You will need an ADC, analog to digital converter, and then you could use it to feed the optical, or coaxial, or USB input of the DSD but not the I2S.

1 Like

Thanks. I picked a few off of Amazon and will give it a try. I’m not looking for anything prenominal. I though maybe grabbing a few Qobuz albums to tape.

Yikes, I actually had to look that word up. :smile:

3 Likes

@NipperDog that was pretty bad. Darn spell check :slight_smile:

phenomenal

3 Likes

Rob, why do you want to run you R2R through a DAC?

2 Likes

That’s the best question so far.

3 Likes

That’s the same question i was gonna ask, unless you do not have a preamp. You know you will be compromising the sound quite a bit by converting it to digital and then back again depending on the quality of the converters you use.

2 Likes

I guess that is the feedback I needed to hear. I made the assumption running it through the DAC would be an improvement. I never considered the loss through the conversion process. I have a McIntosh C48 preamp so lots of inputs for the tape. I really appreciate the feedback and I am thankful for Amazon’s return policy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

How does the DAC in the C48 sound?

1 Like

That’s what I wondered in my post above before @Rob_W purchased a few A to D converters to connect the output of R2R to DAC input; this will not record DAC output meant for amp or pre-amp

(unrelated I know…in 1975, I wrote an analog-to-digital program to convert recorded analog nerve/muscle electrical signals into digits at 20,000 HZ for computer analysis…a history-making venture at the time. this way, instead of accomplishing a dozen or so measurements a day I accumulated millions/day…within a self-made copper Faraday cage 10x10x8 feet to eliminate ambient electrical noise then from self-made intra-cellular glass electrodes to record membrane potentials and currents to Tektronix oscilloscope and then out to computer with 8K of memory! for conversion to billions of digits per experiment; couple of years later, used higher frequency analysis to assess electrical noise in nerve/muscle membranes to determine open times of membrane ion channels…I found that drug effects on ion channels are not only dose dependent but also dependent on cell membrane voltage)

2 Likes

It’s pretty decent, 192k I think, but I only run the optical from from my TV through it. My Marantz SACD has its own DAC. My Aurender server goes to the IS2 (Matrix SPDIF 2) in the DirectStream and then balanced output C48 to MC500.

1 Like