Regen?

herman said
ozzymilton said I am using 2 Regens and 2 Jitterbugs with my Direct Stream. The sound is fabulous!

I have one JitterBug and one Regen which both are great SQ enhancements.
Going from here, would you recommend to add another Regen or another JitterBug as a next step? Thanks!

Good morning

Heman can you describe the servers you use even the USB card and psu type please .

Frode said I have read that the Jitterbug mostly works for the +5V line, so I cannot see how this can benefit the DS to a large degree?
The 5v line is connected on DS so it would make sense if it did, but I don't think that's what's happening. Maybe Ted can help.
alrainbow said
Good morning

Heman can you describe the servers you use even the USB card and psu type please .

Nothing fancy - I am using quad core laptops (Asus & HP) at the moment, now using standard Regen psu but will order SBooster for the Regen.

alrainbow said Frode have patience in will have 2 soon and have a regeneration unit too.
Thanks Al, but I just went down town and picked one up.

I will revert later tonight with some impressions.

Frode said I have read that the Jitterbug mostly works for the +5V line, so I cannot see how this can benefit the DS to a large degree?
I learned to let my ears decide (I am not an electronics expert) and they like the jitterbug. Like the Regen it's a clearly noticeable improvement.

Cool let us know . Also so 2 laptops Thanks . I M hoping for improvement with ny of my servers of it does I will be happy and surprised .

Al

I'm reasonably sure that much of the "crap" from USB comes into the DS via the 5V line. Jitter itself isn't a big deal to the DS. But USB (and Ethernet for the Bridge) inherently involve higher frequency signals with the expected noise that's harder to deal with. For example a missing shield connection on the other inputs doesn't really make any difference at all, but a missing USB shield connection or Ethernet shield connection can be a real problem for both noise coming into the DS and noise going out. That difference is quite apparent on some systems (tho certainly not all.)

The first thing I notice with the JB is a slighty more relaxed sound and the bass seems slightly more powerful and articulated.

I am not sure that these first impressions are real…

Also keep in mind the the JB is inserted between my Aries USB output and the Hydra Z. I am not using the USB input of the DS, but the I2s input.

I was wondering about the same thing Frode … about how the JB may or may not help with a Hydra Z in between already as I also have the Hydra Z and ZPM in between the Mac and DS

Interestingly I connected up an old CD player (Cambridge Audio Azur 840C) via Toslink to the DS yesterday and I was really struggling to find a difference between that CD player and the Mac Mini - Hydra - I2S … perhaps the DS really isn’t that fussy on what is fed in?

Regen in one one of servers is an improvment for sure . It’s not amazing or jaw dropping — I had to say that Paul . But it’s there wether I want to admit it or not . At first I thought it made things thinner , but after a few hours of playing and about 30 hours of burnin it’s not thinner it’s more details . Better staging even though the server is kinda holographic already it adds more depth . Male vocals are more reverberating meaning I can hear more detail to,know the reverb is not only there but that there more of it without the REGEN .

Gutar has more as well. The server is no cheap one either . It’s a fanless xion 3.5 with Paul pangs ver 3 USB and his ram modual . Two as drives one for os and one for music . Hdplex psu and his regulator modual for all devices used . The ser OS is win ser 2012 and AO 1.40 1/A settings in core mode . The REGEN is stock no add on psu .

I did not expect an improvment but it’s there. The more tracks I play the more I am sure it’s there . If Paul,is using his PWT he should be dazzled by it from his tricked out apple computor . Ps this is with PCM Yale beta the final one for me for now .

Now with DSd it adds layers and analog virtues these JBL speakers are sounding pretty good now. Female and cymbals have more texture too . Truly an improvment from this server damn for 175 bucks too. My jitter bugs are not hear as yet .

Thks for the nice review Al, I like mine too but don’t have your silver tongue to describe confused

Hey man were niebors down there I am in Youngsville lol. Thanks for compliment . Glad you enjoy it too.

Al

Oh stop over sometime when in Raleigh…

@Ted

Any comments to what is said here?

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/uptone-audio-regen-22803/index120.html#post476840

Frode said @Ted

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/uptone-audio-regen-22803/index120.html#post476840

I have the Teddy Pardo powersupply with 5V that was used for the Logitech Touch and that I now use with the Regen and DS dac. Works perfect.

Frode said @Ted

I didn’t read the whole thread but I think the point of that post is that you don’t need an industrial strength 5V for the regen supply since the regen doesn’t draw much current and the DS draws none thru it. There’s a big difference in cost for a power supply that’s clean under a light load than one that can clean up a heavy load. i.e. you could aim for a 5V at 100mA power supply instead of 5V at 4 or 5W supply like you might need for a 4 port USB3 hub. If the DS drew a nominal 100mA USB 2 load you’d need twice as much clean power (tho still nowhere near as much as some of the more expensive 5V supplies are designed for.)

I came here looking for just this subject. The Regen FAQ has the question, “Can I use a 5 volt supply?” The short answer given is, “Yes, but only if you are certain that your DAC’s USB input does not draw ANY power from the 5V USB VBUS wires” (link below). If I’m reading your comment correctly Ted, the DS does not draw any power from the USB line. I have a Core Audio Tech Kora LPS with a 5v line for my JCAT USB card. Given what I understand the Regen does, it would seem worth trying the 5v line on it and running the USB card from the computer’s PSU.

I think the important matter that may be missed in the Regen threads (and in other threads/sites) is that the problem only occurs when you use an LPS of 5VDC to drive the Regen. In this case a voltage drop (caused by current flowing through a DAC USB circuit) may cause problems. If you use the standard Regen SMPS this will not be a problem. In case of the DS, it does not draw current from the Regen VBUS line (according to my information), however I would like to see a confirmation from a Yale user.

Frode (aka Distinctive on the CA forum)

I have been using Regen since June and Yale on DS, with a 5V China made Jay Audio LPS, until I swapped to Uptone JS-2 in early Oct.

The combination of 5V LPS did work nicely over the past few months. Hope this helps :)

Hi Friends,

This is my second post, so be gentle :)

I am residing in Simgapore, and has been a PS Audio fan for many years. Lurking in this forum for a while too.

i owned the Perfectwave transport and DAC earlier, and then since Feb this year a Directstream. In between the time I was using the EMM Labs TSDX and DAC2X.

My other system components are: Aurender W20, ASI Preamp, ASI Grand Stereo, ASI Tango R Diamond speakers. Power conditioners Sound Application TF. Cabling are Ansuz Diamond powercords and interconnects, and ASI Reference speaker cables. Footers being Ansuz Darkz Diamond.

I am posting now because I am really excited with a lot of recent experimentation beginning with Regen, which I would regard as the heart of the overall USB connection. The latest configurations are:

W20/Curious USB/Regen/Curious USB tail/Directstream

Regen is powered by JS-2.

While the above configuration is creating great sonics, I took the cue from another thread and add on Synergistic Research ECT into the Directstream (a few pictures in the thread acting as reference), and then placing 3 more ECTs in the following positions:

1. On top of the Curious USB connector at the output of W20

2. On top of the Regen

3. On top of the Curious USB tail connector at the input of Directstream

I hope some folks in this forum might could try this and feedback as well on what you heard :)

Best Regards

Winston