Ripping DSD from SACD

Fabulous… thanx much! But I have some questions and having issues (the therapy is not helping).

I ripped my SACD of Steely Dan Pretzle Logic… tried both DSS & DSF… both appear to behave and sound the same. But I am having issues… so be patient and help me out here. Thanx so much.

My rig:

• I am using Windows, Foobar, the oxford comma, and all my files are stored on a NAS. I use my PC/Foobar to play and output via my PC USB port.
  • Files are 44.1 Wavs and now I ripped SACD Steely Dan Pretzel Logic to both DSS, and DSF files
  • I have two USB devices attached (at the same time) for music playback: 1) USB to the Junior’s USB In, 2) USB to my Mutec 1.2, and then XLR to Junior’s XLR in (I use the Mutec to distribute the digital stream to other DACs I have).
  • I downloaded and installed both the Mutec and PS Audio drivers
  • In Foobar, Preferences/Playback/Output, the “Device” driver dropdown shows four options:
    1 - “KS : PS Audio USB Audio 2.0 Output” and
    2 - "DSD : KS : PS Audio USB Audio 2.0 Output"
    3 - “KS : MC-1.2 USB Audio 2.0 Output” and
    4 - “DSD : KS : MC-1.2 USB Audio 2.0 Output”

I received my Junior about 1.5 weeks ago and didn’t rip my SACDs so all I had was my large library of bit-for-bit WAVs (I purchased everything!). Everything worked really well using both PS Audio and Mutec “KS…” drivers. I never tried the “DSD…” drivers. I could switch drivers and then change the input to the Junior (USB direct from computer or XLR from the Mutec) and play through either path. Everything worked fine and still does with WAVs.

Now I ripped Steely Dan SACD using ISO2DSD and all is not so good and some new questions emerged… so here we go:

Question 1 - Which PS Audio Output driver should I use DSD or non-DSD for 44.1 WAVs? (or Mutec if I am going that route)?
(this is a general question for playing only 44.1 WAVs from CDs, and not related to the DSS or DSF file type.)

Both DSD and non-DSD drivers work. The junior display shows “PCM 44.1k 24bit” for each driver. Hmm… which should I choose when playing just 44.1 WAVs … is there a sound difference?

Question 2 - DSS & DFF files will NOT PLAY using the DSD PS Audio driver but WILL PLAY with my DSD Mutec driver - Why?

I can play DSS & DFF files via the PC-USB-Mutec-XLR-Junior path selecting the Mutec “DSD : KS…” driver. They show “DSD64 1 Bit” on the Junior (btw, there is a tiny crackle between songs). I can also play 44.1 WAVs, the Junior shows “PCM 44.1k 24 Bits”.

When I select the “DSD : KS : PS Audio…” driver for the PC-USB-Junior path, I get silence on DSS & DFF files and the Junior display shows “PCM 176.4 24Bits”. It will play 44.1 WAVs with “PCM 44.1k 24bit” in the display.

So what gives with the PS Audio DSD driver not playing DSS and DSF files with the odd display?

Peace
Bruce in Philly