Hello to all. First post here. I apologize if some of my questions sound a little uniformed but trying to get my head around what a possible DAC upgrade added to my OPPO 105 might do for me.
I have a pretty decent moderately high end system. (OPPO 105>VAC preamp> Odyssey Kismet monoblock amps>ACI Jaguar/LFM sub speakers). I also have a Pioneer Elite SC 71 I use for HT processing but my questions here relate to 2 channel audio.
I use the OPPO 105 at the center of my dual use HT and 2 channel system.
I mostly listen to 2 channel audio. I listen to a lot of CDs, and some SACDs via the transport.
Well recorded discs sound very very good.
I recently have been trying a few Hi REZ (192khz and DSD) downloaded files from commercial sites and putting them on a USB stick plugged into my OPPO 105 and playing them from the on screen menu. They sound great.
I also have a huge library of albums in various compressed formats (mp3/flac/AAC, etc) on my desktop computer hard drive. I am figuring out how to use the network capability of the OPPO 105. It is pretty confusing.
Sounds really pretty good when I get an album to play. Seems to not recognize FLAC format right now but I am sure I am doing something wrong. LOL
Anyway- the OPPO 105 with the SABRE DAC was considered a pretty good source in its day. I am getting back into audio and wondering a few things.
- Is the PS Audio DSD Dac a significant upgrade overall in Sound quality?
- I would just use an OPPO digital output into the PS Audio DSD DAC and then use the analog outs on the PS Audio DAC out to my preamp correct?
- Any CD or SACD or USB stick material I play on the OPPO then goes to the PS Audio DAC correct?
- How would one play the files on my computer hard drive. If I use the OPPO network option would it then also then go to the PS Audio DAC for processing and output?
- I see there is a network card option for the PS Audio which is no doubt more straightforward to use for playing material from my computer hard drive.
- Are there other options that I might look at that would be major upgrade and play all formats also and upscale in the $1000-3000 range?
A used PS Audio DSD Dac looks to be in the $3000 range which would be my top end. A lot of money, but if it is a major upgrade I would consider it.
I like the idea of the firmware upgrades the proprietary written code and the ability to process and upscale all formats. Seems like it would avoid becoming outdated.
And it looks like using the network audio option is a way that a lot of folks are going. Removes the mechanical transport factor and that might be a good thing.
Anyway- is this a good upgrade or does it hit the wall of diminishing returns? My system is pretty good right now and enjoyable, but always looking for better within reason.
Thanks for any input.