Rock is dead. Long live rock(?)

Correct.
Gen Z, iGen, or Centennials: Born 1996 – TBD.
Millennials or Gen Y: Born 1977 – 1995.
Gen X: Born 1965 – 1976.
Baby Boomers: Born 1946 – 1964.
Traditionalists or Silent Generation: Born 1945 and before.

According to my friends AC/DC

Rock ‘n’ roll ain’t noise pollution
Rock ‘n’ roll ain’t gonna die
Rock ‘n’ roll ain’t no pollution
Rock ‘n’ roll it will survive

What is rock? Actually, there is a modern definition given the changes going on… “Guitar-Oriented Music”. (I think that is what it is called… but it is guitar oriented anyway).

My niece’s boyfriend is in the music business in NYC… artist management and concert management… that is how they define it. The biggest concert draw before Covid was Metallica… perfect example of Guitar Oriented Music.

My sister has 7 kids and I watched them grow up in Hip Hop… blech… but whatever. I am amazed that all of them listened to a hugely broad range of music types. Classic rock (guitar oriented), to them, is still popular… such as Led Zep and such. I never listened to such a broad range of music when I was that young.

Access to music is way more easy today and with a click, anyone can hear a super broad range of music types. While we lament the old FM radio, we were still stuck with just a few frequencies… and what they played is what we got. Way more limitation back then than today.

I feel we are witnessing and massive filter for the best music of all years… I am very interested to hear what floats to the top.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

2 Likes

I’d put that in the “things that make you say Hmmm” category.:wink::thinking:

Along definitional lines, and decline of rock in the mainstream, the Wikipedia article is quite interesting:

Yes… interesting.

I have a different viewpoint… yes there are many inputs/influences such as cultural pressures (war, BLM, etc.), technology (instruments, creation)… but take my spin on this for a moment: The constant entrance, exit, and return of melody to any genre.

Jazz became so sophisticated you could not hum the tunes. Even rock became a feeling. When this happens, the tune-smiths return, and melody will define the wave. Hip Hop was a thing, but tunes/melody entered the brainless beats and egocentric ramblings.

Where there is melody, there is the foundation of history. (Always exceptions of course…just try and hum a tune from Kind of Blue…)

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Well it was about time… for so many years rock’s dominant theme was the schlong.

Think Led Zep’s debut… Andy Warhol’s iconic covers… and on and on…

Peace
Bruce in Philly

One the better voices for rock music I’ve heard in awhile :slight_smile:

Brings back memories of sociologist Morris Massey’s work: “What You Are Is Where You Were When”