Roon -> HQPlayer -> AirLens

Hi everyone. Apologies if this is already covered somewhere on the forum but from a brief look I can’t find anything current. The last post with HQPlayer and Roon was 5 years ago.

I currently use Roon → AirLens and it works really well. No issues. But now I’d like to play with HQPlayer as well.

The AirLens doesn’t directly support HQPlayer so I’m wondering if anyone has tried it recently and had any success.

Thanks,
David.

1 Like

interestingly (or not) this was one reason I went for the Denafrips Arce streamer over the AirLens.

I’m pretty sure it’s going to have to explicitly support HQP natively (or at least HQP NAA) to work. And I’m pretty sure it doesn’t.

I suspect you are right and there is no simple way to make it work.

I’ve also purchased the Holo Audio Red streamer which is supported by HQPlayer and has an I2S out as well. I can feed both the AirLens and Red in to my Holo Audio May KTE DAC as it has two I2S inputs and then I can do some A / B testing by simply switching the input.

I have some DSD 512 and 10224 files that I’d love to play with.

I did use the DSD 512 files on a Windows laptop using USB with ASIO drivers and when it worked it worked well. I found the the 512 files were ever so slightly sweeter. This could be because of a different data path: USB/ASIO → USB B input as opposed to DSD 256 via I2S. But I wanted to replace the Windows laptop because it was always needing to be rebooted.

And yes, the MAY DAC is galvanically isolated as well.

So it looks like I’ll have to wait for the Red to arrive to start playing.

If anyone else reads this and has any ideas, I’d be happy to try them and report back.

Thanks,
David.