Senna’s 2-Channel Audio System

Thank you all. I am blessed to have a dedicated room. While it is still very much a work in progress, I’m very much enjoying the sound and the process of improvement that comes with it.

@brett66 thanks for the recommendations- one of my next upgrades will be XLR. I need a short run from DAC to BHK, then 5M/15ft from BHK to mono’s.

Although the Salks will be a part of my journey from here on out, I still enjoy the sound of a line stage speaker; and I want to see what Chris’s final PSA speaker entails. I do wonder what Danny’s monster of a speaker would sound like. One can never have too many speakers, right. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Cherish those Salk HT3s. Sad to report Jim has had to discontinue that model in the Veracity series because the woofer is no longer available. I’m a completely satisfied owner of a pair of SoundScape 7M monitors (in gorgeous bubinga finish) btw and can attest to the fact Jim Salk delivers the best built, best sounding bang for the buck in custom build speakers. Hands down.

1 Like

I would agree @owlsalum - Jim builds masterpieces- I loved the HT3 since I first heard them 12 years ago - too bad the TC Sounds woofers are no longer made. I was willing to drive 8 hours each way to pick them up, so they are not going anywhere. And with the BHK & Pass amps, I’m really enjoying the synergy.

I would love to hear your setup - those 7’s with the REL sub have to sound fantastic!

1 Like

This is not to steal a thing away from your insanely cool setup and room, but I have been seriously considering something like this for about a year or so now…

I Turned A Boring Shed into An Epic Dolby Atmos Home Theater Tour - YouTube

1 Like

I use a BHK pre and a Pass X250.5 with my SS 7Ms. Plus a pair of REL T/9i subs. In a relatively small high-rise living space. Synergy indeed, with all the transparency and punch I could ask for. I’ll keep my 7Ms until they crap out or I die, whichever comers first. I’ve thought repeatedly about replacing them when I feel that ‘upgrade’ impulse and haven’t been able to convince myself I’d be happy with anything else.

1 Like

A proper HT setup would be awesome @Barsley - I had a decent 9.1 system setup at my last house, but I found that I was using it less and less. I did have an infinite baffle (IB) sub I built and I do miss the experience of some movies with deep LFE like the Blackhawk Down Chopper scene.

In the new house, I decided to just go with a room that would focus on 2-Ch. if you do end up building, I’d love to follow along.

1 Like

Short update.

I’m auditioning one of Danny at GR-Research new B16 Power Cable builds in a 2M length.

I’m currently using it on my streamer (Cambridge Audio CXN V2) and it exceeded my expectations right out of the gate with no burn in time. It’s replacing a Twinlink Cardas PC of similar cost. I will be spending a bit of time on my streamer, then try it on my SACD player and preamp next.

2 Likes

@senna1a how does the B16 compare with any other power cable you may have tried? thanks…

@eyal.goldwerger welcome to the forum- this is a great place to hang out if your looking to talk audio.

To answer you question, I’ve compared some lower end PCs on the streamer and DAC - all 5-6 ft in length:

• The Cardas Twinlink I’ve been most recently using, and
  • DIY Duelund 600v 12Ga
  • Zu Audio Event Mk1
  • Parts Connexion ConnectX 12Ga
  • Stock

From the above, I liked the Cardas best from a clarity and tone, but it is still a bit thinner and cooler than optimal on my streamer.

The GR-Research B16 PC added a bit of density, warmth, but a laidback soundstage.

Thanks @senna1a !

I’m also on the lookout for a power cord for my amp, do you think the Cardas will hold well for that heavier use case? Realizing you may not have tested in that set up. Thanks again for the above

@eyal.goldwerger most welcome. I have tried the Cardas on my amps, and they worked well, however, it may be more system/amp dependent. What amp are you using?

I found only subtle changes in sound on my amps (pass labs), but other found larger improvements in their setups.

I was using the Cardas on my amps, but ended up purchasing the Iconoclast BAV 12 Ga cables that run from my P10 to the amps largely because I needed a 10-12 ft run per amp and they do the job well.

I hope I’ve been helpful and feel free to chat further. I’m sure others with much more experience in power cords may be able to help with input as well. I’ve focused mostly on good value (less than $500 PC).

thanks @senna1a - I’m using the Simaudio Moon 330A amp which I recently purchased. The cheap stock cable is surprisingly ok and cannot discern any noise and getting pretty great sound. But I’m pretty curious to find the difference I may find in getting a proper power cord into this unit.

I am definitely in the more value camp, looking for something in the <$500 range but need a very short run (my main challenge is logistical, as I only have a few inches in between the my amp and power filter - in fact, if I could get a 0.5 feet cable I’d be happy, realizing it’s rare to find anything less than 1m in good quality;). So far, I’m eye any of the following:

• Audioquest NRG-Z3 or Monsoon (likely with a 90 degree adapter)
  • DH Labs Power Plus
  • Nordost Blue Heaven
  • GR Research B16
  • Cardas Paresec or Iridium

and still researching… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve heard good things about the 330A, but no firsthand knowledge @eyal.goldwerger

I’ve considered completing a consult with the Cable Company and have some cables sent to me to audition - may be worth it for you.

Also, I believe GR-Research will give you 30 days to trial the B16 cable.

Good luck on your research.

I highly recommend the 330A. It made an immediate impact (upgraded from Mytek amp)

thanks again - I may check the cable company…

1 Like

Your amp is a very good, not inexpensive, high current amp. I would save my nickels until I could afford a really good power cable.

@RonP budget aside, which cable would you have paired it with?

I’ve used Shunyata Sigma and Kimber Palladium 10 with excellent results to my amps and to my regenerator.

1 Like

Short update. I just picked up a used Directstream DAC and plan to compare the DAC with my Esoteric SACD player (which I use today for streaming/file playback) vs the DSD.

Until I can borrow/get my hands on the Auralic Femto, I’m limited to digital coax/spidf from my Cambridge CXN, however, I would rather start with a single change anyway. I will report back after a bit of listening.

3 Likes

Quick update. Fortunately my Esoteric has coax & toslink digital outs, so I also A/B’d redbook CDs between it using its internal DAC vs the DSD - within seconds, it was apparent the Esoteric will be serving as a transport going forward as it is not even close.

Off to find a better coax cable as I was just using an inexpensive DH Labs SilverSonic I had available - any suggestions please let me know.

This could be an expensive rabbit hole as I’m seriously tempted to audition the new PST to hear redbook/SACD via I2S, but I need to prioritize and focus on other means as I listen to CD/SACD much less than years past.

Now back to focusing on better streaming / ripped file playback. The CXN, while versatile, is clearly a weak link in the system.

2 Likes

A very favorable comparison, indeed…

FWIW, I bought a previously loved DMP from a fellow forum member about four months ago.

It has performed flawlessly since I bought it, on CD and SACD duty. SACDs can be great but, like all media IME, excellence is in the quality of the recording and musicality of the offering.

That said, where the DMP impresses the most thus far is with CDs. As we 'philes are wont to say, “its like I have a whole new music collection”. That’s a bit hyperbolic, but most CD’s in my collection have never sounded as good.

I still prefer to stream via my iMac and JRiver Media Center to the PSA Bridge II Ethernet card for the overall best sound, but it is a testament to the the DMP that I am spinning more and more albums start to finish via the DMP then I have in years.

In short (too late, I know), for I2S you should consider a used DMP from a reputable hobbyist if you have some current budget constraints, now that the PST is available. More and more of these should be offered for re-sale in the coming days and weeks. I know there has been a vocal contingent of DMP bashers here (and I don’t doubt their experiences with their kit), but I highly recommend the DMP, especially on a price/performance basis if spinning discs is not likely to by your primary mode of listening to 1’s and 0’s.

Glad you like the DS Sr. so much. Short of my speakers, it has been my most transformative kit I have purchased to date.

Cheers.

2 Likes