Separate grounded power outlet

An electrician will install some extra outlets outside for lights and a heater. This will connected to a separate grounded power group.

Just curious; would it be worthwile to have him install another separate group/power outlets for my audio?

Currently my audio is connected with a power strip to just one ungrounded outlet, not on a separate group - without problems. (My house is from the seventies - and only kitchen/bathroom outlets are grounded)

Short answer - yes. I have a dedicated single twenty (20) amp circuit with 10 gauge wire. I’m in the United States, 120v. It’s more than sufficient for my setup. Do you have hungry amps? I believe you’re in the UK? Maybe someone from Europe can weigh in.

1 Like

Hi Netspecht-2 (are you perhaps Dutch :wink: ?)

I have a PSAudio 250/Krell222 pre/DSDDac and PWT in my set. I am in The Netherlands

United States. Specht in my case is German, but on the maternal Grandmother side, there is some Dutch background.

I don’t want to weigh in on 230v capacity. Are you using a power plant to show how much you’re drawing?

Hi again Netspecht-2,

No I used to have a PSApowerplant… it died a few years ago after 8 years use.
But I don’t think there is any capacity problem; just thinking grounding of the set may be safer and perhaps also can have a positive effect SQ wise.
I did experience better sound using a powerplant for a few years, but that’s gone now.
Buying a new one is not yet in the pipeline!

I’d definitely install a dedicated circuit - especially having the electrician there. The house call is the expensive part. A dedicated circuit will also separate your other household items lights, dimmers, etc, off the circuit. The BHK 250 looks to be a hungry amp. My stuff isn’t - W4S multichannel Class D amp.

You could also give PS Audio a call in around eight hours and ask their engineers what size circuit they’d recommend…

Thank you for your reaction. I may be able to sell the extra costs to my wife as a matter of ‘safety’… ha!

1 Like

One of those things “you’d wished you had done, if you didn’t.” Good luck.

PS: It’s better to seek forgiveness, than to ask permission…

I have done it and strongly recommend two home run 20 amp circuits with 10 AWG copper wire into Hubbell 8300 series outlets. You can upgrade to other outlets for additional expense. A home run is basically a direct feed from the outlet to the distribution panel with no other loads on the circuit; one continuous cable pull from the panel. Make sure both circuits are fed from the same phase in the panel. If you upgrade the panel go with SquareD QO series.

1 Like

Hi Weedeewop - I feed all gear through one extension block in one outlet; so why do I need 2 lines?
Still need to make final appointment with electrician so your input is appreciated.

I’d do two since you already have an electrician engaged. It will depend on what components you are powering, and how many. I would also depend to some degree on what power block you are using. I lean towards one feed for the amplifier, and one for the source components. If you are mixing analog and digital you may need additional considerations with regenerators and or conditioners.

Thanks Weedeewop, I’'ll think about it :wink:

Just throwing this in the mix, I have a single 20A-1P circuit for my system and it works perfectly fine. However, adding a second 20A-1P circuit only takes one more conductor (you can share the same neutral on opposite phases: yes, I hear gasps of “that will degrade the sound”) and one more space in your panelboard for another circuit breaker. Just food for thought.

@amsco15: Thank you, but a bit too much food… decisions, decisions…