Sound Truncation from Bridge II Roon MQA update

scolley said

Thank you very much for the clarification Matt. Still on the radar, and being addressed - that’s good news about the first problem.

And while it does not affect me a great deal, because I don’t have a lot of DSD tracks. But I have friends that do. So for their interests I’d love to know… what about the second problem, three posts up? The noise when switching from DSD to PCM or visa versa?

Thanks.

The DSD to PCM transitions are still being investigated. I’m hoping these are related to the same underlying issue and are both addressed at the same time. I have a suspicion it occurs due to buffering the next stream, but not switching to the proper decoder until the first stream is done, even though the next stream is already in the buffer. I don’t have much visibility into it though so I’ll let the smart guys over at Convers figure out what’s really going on, but the more information I can give them the better.

I will say I notice a small ‘pop’/‘tick’ noise repeated 3 or 4 times in the first half second of a track when I go from a DSD to PCM file, but not going from DSD back to PCM. Is anyone experiencing unexpected noise artifacts transitioning from PCM to DSD?

Regards,

Matt

Hi Matt,

I experience faint clicks and pops between tracks and also during dsd tracks. It also happens with usb and i2s, but the clicks and pops are louder with the bridge. Also, the clicks disappear when I turn the volume down to 60 with usb and i2s, but are still there, faintly, at volume 60 on the bridge.

Phil

MattC said

I will say I notice a small ‘pop’/‘tick’ noise repeated 3 or 4 times in the first half second of a track when I go from a DSD to PCM file, but not going from DSD back to PCM. Is anyone experiencing unexpected noise artifacts transitioning from PCM to DSD?

Matt - thanks for the reply. That you guys have it, and are working on it is good enough. However I do need to confess that I was incorrect in saying the previously reported problem is there (if quieter). I was wrong.

Now - for me - it is much as you describe it, specifically only going from DSD to PCM. It used to be both ways, but no longer. That’s a good thing!

As for the nature of the noise, it sounds like 2 or 3 pop/tics vs. 3 or 4. Not trying to split hairs, just trying to accurate. But other than that, it is for me as you describe.

Thank you for giving this your attention.

Hi Matt,

I also have a very similar experience to Philippe J’s. What I’ve noticed with this latest Bridge update is that the clicks and pops heard during DSD (never PCM) playback on Bridge II are now audiable in JRiver 23, where as before the update I only experienced this in Roon. The clicks and pops during transitions bothered me but after a while I just expected them. Clicks and pops during a song really bother me because I am not expecting them to be there. I cannot speak to USB because I just use the Bridge. In fact one of the reasons I purchased this Dac with Bridge was to avoid using USB altogether.

I do hope there is a resolution soon. If I can provide any further info or sound clips, I would be happy to do so. I will pull out my server from the media closet just to connect via USB to confirm what Philippe J has described.

Thank You.