Speaker set up poll

Hi members, I’m reading (again) Paul’s book and Jim Smith’s GBS book about speaker positioning. A lot of useful informations, as usual. A lot of controversial theories, as usual. And the conclusion is always the same: let your ears judge!

Having said that, I’m curious to know what is your preferred set up

1 Distance tweeter to tweeter (Y) compared to distance tweeter to listening position (X).
It impacts on the soundstage width and accuracy of imaging, separation of instruments and more or less realism of the scene along with inherent engagement.

• Less - Y < X where Y is within 80% range of X or even shorter
  • Equal = equilateral triangle X = Y
  • More - Y > X
0 voters

2 Minimum distance from tweeter to listening position.
It may help when you achieve a better way for speakers disappearing

• Less than 9’ (2,7 mt)
  • Between 9’-10’ (2,7-3,0 mt)
  • Between 10’-12’ (3,0-3,6 mt)
  • More than 12’ (3,6 mt)
0 voters

3 Toe-in vs Toe-out speakers.
It impacts both on soundstage width and depth, focusing the image and letting the speakers disappear.

• Toe-in pointing your ears or in front of you
  • Toe-in pointing behind your chair
  • Straight
  • Toe-out
0 voters
3 Likes

(red and blue are sad, Purple is very happy, Green as well)

4 Likes

is that the subwoofer at your feet?

Nope. It’s a large amplifier.

5 Likes

ah, foot warmer

7 Likes

We also need a poll for a beer and/or wine fridge.

3 Likes

Interesting poll, Luca! Curious to learn what may be derived from it.

2 Likes

Al - I’m sure your room sounds Bacchtastic (unless seated in the unfortunate red or blue positions)!

1 Like

I wish my room was bigger! But I’ve worked it out well. It really helps that my speakers are both omni-directional and directional.

1 Like

A nicely constructed poll.

3 Likes

IMO, Luca, too much of this depends on the size of the room, the type of speakers, and the way the room is treated. To me these books and recommendations are good but very general guidelines. Have you gotten any thoughts from Sonus faber for your model?

3 Likes

My premise Tony was that our ears must be the rule, of course, I agree.

Sonus faber manual is lacking about details: 1,8 mt minimum distance apart (without mentioning tweeter to tweeter or speaker to speaker) and 1 mt far from both side and front wall. Very poor indeed. I was expecting more infos from the manufacturer.

2 Likes

That’s probably about as far as they can go for general placement. I’ll bet, though, if you call them they’ll probably be able to give additional help once you give them the specifics of your new room. Can’t hurt to give it a try.

1 Like

hey luca…my preference is an isoceles triangle…

8 ft spread between tweets…and 15 ft from speakers
to my listening point…

Some prefer near field listening…my preference it the more
panoramic view point or soundfield choice…works better for me.

My friend you have a lot choices to play with…each one has it’s
own specific merits…kind of like an ice cream parlor…all wonderful
but which to choose…

Best wishes!!

2 Likes

You’re right, Luca about one’s ears being the final decision maker.
For example, in my oddly shaped room, after a couple years of adjustments, my Wilsons are far from where the Wilson method originally put them.

2 Likes

Funny how that turns out…

Best wishes

You just have to have patience, be methodical and have a couple rolls of blue painter tape.

2 Likes

The Hometheater Shack did an evaluation of several $3000.00 speakers.
at the time they had posted many pictures with blocking marks to show
where speakers had been positioned…these illustrations sadly are now gone

The pains taken to develop this evaluation was amazing in it’s attention to
detail…

If you like to read here is the link…

Have fun

Best wishes

1 Like

Great poll. Thanks. I don’t have much practical experience so am also leaning on these references and REW.

Much work yet to do in set up and heeding the wisdom of these words

3 Likes

Excellent resource (among several others) - sometimes I borrow from multiple sources (collective wisdom) depending on my situation or needs. I do exert some level of skepticism as I feel I need to understand the logic/science behind the principals before I apply someone’s approach to speaker setup.

1 Like