Speaker set up tricks

It could imply that also tilting the speaker on the left (less direct to left ear) should reduce energy.
Once again, we are talking about very slightly movements.

Thanks Paul! I’m growing older (52)!

1 Like

Happy birthday @luca.pelliccioli the best present you could get might be the V17LE interconnects! Enjoy your day!

4 Likes

Eat your cake Luca, a meager but well deserved reward for your audio insights.

1 Like

Thanks, my friends!

Happy Birthday Luca!!!

(By the way, a Bacch processor solves all that speaker positioning business Automagically)

3 Likes

Happy birthday Luca!

Any luck on working the imaging to where you are feeling better about it?

1 Like

Happy B-Day Lucca, at 52 the best years are still ahead! Wishing you all the very best!

3 Likes

Thank you Al, Vern, Bob… very kind of you.

1 Like

Buon compleanno amico imo! Prendi un cornetto e pensa a noI! :croissant: :coffee:

1 Like

Happy Birthday Luca, hope you will find the center soon!

I always thought toe-out the right speaker will shift the image to the right, but for the next 5 hours I just hope my golf balls will find the center of the club face🏌🏽‍♂️

1 Like

Grazie mille!

Me too! I’m going to investigate deeper tonight.

Thank you, Danold.

1 Like

First, happy birthday!

Second: I also have always had this feeling of the left channel being slightly “hotter” than the right channel. In some recordings (for example, Miles’ trumpet in so what, at the beginning of his first solo sound a bit to the left).

After messing with positioning and toe in (my experience: more toe in on the left speaker drives the image to the right), but then I discovered it ruins the image for other recordings (specially the good monos that are otherwise dead center). It was an endless nightmare, until I decided: just use the balance control.

So, when I feel the left channel “hotter”, I reduce 1dB of its output using the balance control of my preamp, and forget about it.

5 Likes

Tanti auguri di buen compleanno

Thanks

Grazie davvero!

1 Like

Let me thank you all for your friendship and kindness.

Bingo!

1. I reduced speakers toe-in to go almost straight on, just the right one a few millimeters toe-in.

2. By a laser meter I took more precise measurements. From my ears this time, NOT from the wall behind the speakers. This changed all. Now I have a perfect distance from the listening chair to both of the speakers.

3. I moved the speakers closer to each other. It means increasing the distance from the side walls. Another big improvement.

4. I started playing mono recordings to understand what was effective and what wasn’t at all. Great advice, thanks!

5. Even if not exactly the Smith’s .83 ratio I moved the speakers also farer to the listening position, less equilateral more isosceles triangle, so to speak.

A lot of tape on the floor, patience and great forum members helped me and brought me to a wonderful end. Now the image is perfectly centered but the soundstage proportions, liveliness voice, instruments correct tonality… are way way better!

Success! Thank you all! A big smile on my face now listening to PS Audio Qobuz playlist.

6 Likes

I’m also all about symmetry in my setup and have found a simple way to achieve it. My speakers are on the hardwood section of my flooring. I bought some self adhesive transparent rulers and applied them so that the 6 inch point is exactly the same distance from the left wall as the 6 inch point is from the right wall. This makes it very easy to make minute adjustments in distance from both side walls.

5 Likes

Bravo!

1 Like

Happy Dance!

1 Like