Speaking Frankly

Someone had to say it.

Nuts!

7 Likes

This has been the case for many years.

And with many hobbies.

3 Likes

Whatever the market will bear.

The credo/issue reminds me of the oft-made argument that athletes are paid too much.

If the owners could not afford to pay these salaries (i.e., if the economies of a given professional sports league does not support the salaries), then they would not. A correction to the “market” might be forthcoming or necessary, but until then…

My $0.02.

Cheers.

2 Likes

It’s all relative to one’s financial position. Just follow the results of Sotheby’s Contemporary art auctions, Gooding’s Pebble Beach auto auctions, real estate sales in Monaco, etc. for more mind bending fiscal frivolity. This is a world untethered by any financial constraints. All we audiophiles of lesser means can do is be thankful that the technology developed for the über range of audio equipment has improved more affordable products.

6 Likes

I walked away from this hobby 20 years ago because things were nuts!

I came back three to four years ago, and things are still NUTS!

5 Likes

Something’s in the audiophile water this week. Another similar article

Maybe sales are down?

1 Like

You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave.

7 Likes

Your name isn’t Frank

What is a better hobby to burn up money than Audio?

4 Likes

Wine.

3 Likes

Humanity comes to mind.

5 Likes

Excellent! So you are spending way more on humanity than Audio? Nice!

3 Likes

Speaking as the site’s official Trailer-Trash representative, I have to agree :smiley:

5 Likes

Indeed I do.

2 Likes

Universally, a system(biochemical, electrical, or whatever) needs somewhat of a reasonable negative feedback to maintain stablity. Nuts is when there is almost none of such feedback.

Oh and we don’t do that here for sure.

Coffee for some…

2 Likes

If you build it they will come!! :grinning:

1 Like

To further add, This hobby has out-priced itself for me to continue to buy new equipment at ridiculous prices. AudioQuest Dragon ZERO Speaker Cables (pair) $62,100.00 C’mon really!!!

3 Likes

Time to provide a smidgen of focus to Geoff’s thoughts regarding aligning gear to a customer. Pushing high priced gear may not yeild the best results. The customer, and the dealer, are best served in understanding the customer’s needs, goals, and room acoustic limitations. Many times a lesser cost solution may suffice. That was my experience wen auditioning the Wilson Audio SabrinaX, Yvette, and DAW. The SabrinaX best matched my goals and listening preferences.
There will always be a customer wanting the most expensive or outrageous component(s). From Geoff’s perspective maintaining inventory for that one off customer may not be good business.

I do donate Stealth cables to the less fortunate.

4 Likes