SQ: comparing Bridge II vs USB

No, I didn’t. The PC comes with a brick PS, so it’s not a wall wart anyway. And for the network bridge I used an iFi iPower SMPS which has actually compared favorably to some LPS noise-wise. And I know I probably didn’t have the ideal networked solution but for just $165, which was the cost of the Intona (used, industrial version), I easily surpassed what I had. Not sure how much I would have had to spend to get the networked solution to that point.

The iFi while clean in 1 measurement is actually one of the worst supplies regarding leakage current. If you use the IFi it will make your downstream device more susceptible to contamination from other devices and your mains. This leakage problem has been measured by multiple groups online.

The server likely has a noisy power supply as well.

Probably, but as I said, at what cost do you try and make it work? A good LPS is pretty pricey and you need at least 2, and in some cases maybe 3. I have a dedicated music room with no need to provide music to any other area of the house, I have a dedicated music server/PC in the same room. I strictly listen to music that’s on my SSD. I really don’t need a networked solution. The only reason I was doing that in the past was because I come from an IT background and that’s what I was most comfortable with. No doubt I could have done better for a lot more money, but I think what I have now would be hard to beat.
But the main point is, I thought the OP was possibly under the impression that the Bridge II was inherently the top option SQ-wise and he seemed to be following a similar path to mine, albeit from the other direction. I know it’s all in the implementation, but if the Bridge II was inherently better SQ-wise I think Ted would just come right out and say so. He uses USB from what I understand.

1 Like

Absolutely agree. Too often it’s easy for all of us to want black/white solutions but it doesn’t play out in reality. Ethernet galvanic isolation is absolutely not 100% effective, therefore a clean USB signal could absolutely trump a noisy Ethernet solution.

You are correct about the power supplies, one I recommend to people is Sbooster but it goes for $330. There aren’t a lot of really good ones for cheap. One way to use one good power supply is to use FMC’s and then plug in the linear on the last one.

Even though UTP Ethernet provides transformer-based “galvanic” isolation, those transformer will pass along high impedance leakage current. Depending on the switches used, this leakage current can be reduced dramatically for almost nothing. See here:

I am using this technique with my switch and UTP Cat 5e cables.

Installed the fmc’s and upgraded the cables to cat6a (from cat6). Also have been letting the bridge burn in continuously day and night. (If at night I have the DSD’s volume turned to 0, is the bridge still getting burned in? I assumed so since it’s still getting a signal).

Do I notice a difference? I’m not sure. Maybe a little. Or maybe I’m just getting more used to the sound. I’ll do some more a/b testing vs USB next weekend.

I’m also going to try installing a 2nd Ethernet port on my Rock NUC, so will cross-over from the NUC to the DSD and see how eliminating the Ethernet network helps.

Actually, do I need a crossover cable to go from NUC to DSD directly?

I know some devices can auto-detect this kind of connection and adjust accordingly…

@jonm not 100% sure but NUC should have MDX auto-detection so you should not need crossover cable

1 Like

Thanks @Maniac, I figured that might be the case. Will be testing this out tonight.

@jonm just out of curiosity how many devices you have in your LAN? In my case (i have 10+ devices in LAN) adding FMCs helped quite a lot (and disconnecting anything else galvanically connected to audio chain - even ethernet from P10 regenerator etc.)

@Maniac, in addition to the NUC and DSD, I have about 2 or 3 wired devices, and several wireless coming and going.

This experiment will get more interesting shortly, once I’ve direct-connected the Rock/NUC server to the DSD on the Ethernet side, and am comparing to an upgraded USB setup, with 2 high quality USB cables and an Intona inbound.

If anyone lives in the Tampa area you’re welcome to come help me evaluate.

i have bridge II but i prefer usb with dedicared pc with Jplay streamer (files on nas used through minilmserver and bubblepnp app). The pc is powered thru an isotek (very important) and a well choosed powerer cable.

Any updates?

Direct Ethernet (with fiber media converters between and using cat 6a cable) seemed a small improvement my immediate reaction was maybe it took out some of the harshness I was feeling before. More of a gut reaction, didn’t spend any time going back and forth.

With 2 HiDiamond Reference USB and an Intona now on the USB side I really am no longer listening using the bridge. This is just a more musical (organic, real) less fatiguing sound to me. Unfortunate really because now I’m limited to roon due to how I’m set up. That may change if antipodes ever release their cx.

Added an iFi Micro to the USB chain, and things got a bit better I think. Perception is: bit more clarity, bit larger and more 3D soundstage, tighter/punchier bass, more organic vocals. Huge change? Could I ID it in a blind a/b? Probably no but it seems an improvement worth the $.

Have a Curious Cable regen link inbound so that’s up next. Will be: NUC/Roon ROCK > HiDiamond HID USB > Intona > HiDiamond Reference USB > iFi Micro > Curious Regen USB > DirectStream.

Aloha,

I’m in my at home trial period for the DSJ. Love the DAC, at 200 hours of break in.

The Bridge II has been a disappointment so far. Roon over the Bridge doesn’t sound as good as MacBook Pro --> Roon/HQP --> USB --> W4S RUR --> Curious Link --> DSJ.

It could be a Roon issue, as I’ve never liked the sound of Roon without HQP. But with the Bridge not being a NAA device, it won’t work with HQP.

Is JRiver the only alternative to Roon with the Bridge II? I have JRiver, and started to figure out the McConnect stuff, but the PS Audio instructions didn’t always match the setting options in the latest JRiver. So I gave up.

Are there more up to date instructions for setting up JRiver over the Bridge?

Also, is there a setting to turn off the Bridge? Its my understanding the Bridge is responsible for most of the DSJ’s heat. If the Bridge proves inferior to USB, then I’d rather disable it in order to get rid of all the heat.

Thanks!

It cannot be turned off.

I’ve used Minimserver (on Synology NAS) with mconnect Control to the Bridge II as an alternative to Roon.

Bridge sounds very good. USB sounds better to me so far.

I have a Curious Regen link inbound as well as a Lumin U1, so I’ll be able to try more options and more easily a/b some. Maybe I’ll arrange a shoot-out here in Tampa. My room’s far from perfect and my system isn’t “best/top-end” but it’s all decent-ish. Anyone from PS Audio interested, PM me.

BubbleUPNP supports the Bridge, as well as Tidal and Qobuz.