Stellar Strata with Magnepan .7?

I recently purchased a pair of Magnepan .7, and need an amplifier that can drive it well to moderate listening levels. I’d prefer to get an integrated amplifier with a DAC in order to keep my system simple, and so I am looking for one whose DAC section is as good as or better than Chord Hugo, which is my current DAC. Does anyone know if the PS Audio Stellar Strata will fit my needs?

1 Like

I’m interested in this too.

Maggies need current - an amp that doubles power from 8 to 4 Ohms is generally what you’re looking for. The Strata doesn’t do that. However, how MUCH current they actually need…I dunno. PSA has a 30 day return policy with free shipping both ways so it will cost you $0.00 to buy a Strata and find out :man_shrugging:

I’d recommend giving them a call to talk it through.

Definitely look at the Strata. You can’t beat PSAudio’s in-house demo. I considered it for my Magnepan .7’s, but I went with a Parasound HINT6 integrated.

Built-in DAC. I’ve tried other DACs ahead of it, but I’m running my mac mini (Roon/HQPlayer) direct into the Parasound’s USB input and I’m really happy with how it sounds. (And I like the simplicity of fewer boxes.)

Plenty of power for the Maggies. Not doubling at 4 Ohms, but 1.5 times.
180 watts x 2 @ 8 Ω RMS
270 watts x 2 @ 4 Ω RMS
45 amps peak current per channel

I’m currently using a Strata and a Stellar Phono with a pair of Magnepan 3.7i and a pair of REL subs. I have been very happy with the pairing. My room is 22x22 so not large or particularly small.

The system plays very loud when asked and is very easy to live with, in terms of heat, space, power, etc.

I use the I2S input for critical digital listening and love it.