Stereo Receiver Hum

I had a hum from my Pioneer VSX-D702S. It was particularly to the center speakers but all speakers were effected. I went through a forum topic I had found on Google on the PSAudio website. I went through the motions of looking for a bad capacitor in the receiver, then unplugged all the components and finally looked at the cable receiver. I had a cheap pair of RCA cables, red and white and when I disconnected them from the cable box the hum went away. From there I swapped out the cables to a set that looked much thicker and when I plugged them to the receiver and to the cable box there was no more hum. The cable box has two set of RCA inputs. One is a HD for left and right and the other is a SD with right, left and video. I have a cable that is over ten feet long but it is thick and looks like new. The cable I stuck with has right/left/video and is much thicker than the original cable and it was marked “DISH” so I think I’ll be OK with that. It too is over ten feet long when I need only two feet but I’m not going to buy another cable as long as this one works.
I hope this solution helps someone.

Audio John

Suggest you spend some time googling on Ground loops /cable box . You can chase your tail on this one, but it’s usually solvable.

netspecth-2
I’ll look for ground loops but I get lost and confused when I try to understand it all. In the meantime, I’ve got no hum.

Audio John

Hum can appear, disappear, and re-appear. Most of the time I find a loose cable or some re-positioning of cables helps. Tracking down hum can be frustrating for sure.

When the hum rears it’s ugly head again I’ll look up Ground Loops again but until that happens I’ll keep my fingers crossed. MX&HNY.

Audio John

1 Like

I went ahead and bought the three foot RCA cables, red and black. I didn’t like the ten foot r/w/y cables behind my stereo outfit and the hum is still gone. I bought Horsa CRA-201.

Audio John