Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

Your post reminded me of this box set, which I have neglected for too long. Joelle and Elisabeth looks intriguing. Thanks for the nudge.

1 Like

Listened to Disc 1 & 2 this morning. Strong set across the board, with the under rated reed player Bennie Maupin.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Great lineup! Got confused with album title, I see it’s Time and Time Again

1 Like

@cardri you always have the good word on great sounding smooth jams. Thanks! Listening to this one right now.

1 Like

Moving on with discs 4,5,6. Have listened to Disc 3 the day I received the box set from CDJapan.
Having just hooked up my new P15, takes this set to an entirely different level. :grinning:

4 Likes

Congratulations!

You bet! They played together for 30 years…

1 Like

A brief review of the recently released documentary Fire Music. Addressing the creative music, improvisational oriented, free jazz movement. Screenings limited to New York and L.A. at the time of this review. Hopefully there will be a wider distribution.

Fire Music Review

Mindi Abar is another different sax player.

1 Like

Thank you for the link. I hope this is released on blu-ray. Obviously a labor of love.

I had not heard about Jimmy Fallon dissing Peter Brotzmann…good grief.

Unfortunately, I think the film will be preaching to the converted; I hope he was able to include music and interviews with some younger players.

1 Like

Regarding Jimmy Fallon, I don’t do much TV and certainly no late night TV, so Jimmy is how shall I say it not credible with me. I get that some may not get Brotzmann, well and fine. For him to flash the cover of that particular album on TV probably had more to do with titillating the audience than anything of artistic merit. I suppose Jimmy could have flashed Peter’s “De Boere” LP cover as well. Imagine if his writing staff ever discovered the Japanese label Venus Records.

For many, Fallon’s description of the album is dead-on: ““That sounds like a Guitar Center on a busy Saturday.”

1 Like

I just happen to not be one of them, and I get it…
It took me a moment to realize who Fallon is as I am not being tuned in to TV, or Guitar Center, for that matter what ever that is.

:sweat_smile:

‘Guitar Center on a busy Saturday’…lots of bad/unskilled musicians playing riffs simultaneously.

1 Like

Sounds like an Alabama Juke Joint,

GIP’s PLACE

Really?

300 stores selling musical instruments and accessories. Big one in Times Square. Hard to miss.

Visiting a Guitar Center, with 10 “shredders” all randomly “shredding” at highest allowable volume, is the very definition of cringe-worthy. I’m amazed that at least one shredder isn’t beaten to death with his Ibanez once a week.

1 Like

its not as cringe-worthy as looking in the dumpster of a guitar center and realizing that they smash and toss guitars that had minor flaws.

Bain-Capital ran them into the ground, then sold them to Ares Management Corporation… not exactly lovers of fine instruments. As a guitar player, I’d just like to register my opinion that they are awful

1 Like

Even worse, the latest amateur version of Stairway to Heaven.

2 Likes