Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

My source is from a Charlie Parker discography from jazzdiscogs.org. In November 26 1945, Charlie Parker led a studio date that included Dizzy on trumpet and piano, Miles on trumpet, Curly Russell on bass, and Max on drums for Savoy Records. Sadik Hakim was pianist for “Thriving on a Riff” on takes 11, 12, and 13. Take 1 was pianist Dizzy. Sadik Hakim also played the opening and closing parts of “Koko”. Dizzy played the middle. Why? The union rep was checking to see if Sadik was in the union. Sadik was not in the union.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the story I’ve seen too, mentioned also in the link I included. Not sure that any story is fully true. A time machine might help clear up mysteries.

@jazzbirder, I believe the site yo refer to is this one, jazzdisco.org, which looks to be rather comprehensive:

Charlie Parker

1 Like

3 Likes

Another nice set :+1:

2 Likes

Jorrit Dijkstra | soprano and alto saxophone
Jeb Bishop | trombone
Pandelis Karayorgis | piano
Nate McBride | bass
Luther Gray | drums

A real nice group, and a real nice album. I think they need more exposure.

2 Likes

Regarding Pandelis I agree completely. have heard a little bit of his work, and think he needs additional exposure. Learned of him through Ken Vandermark. On board with Nate, Jeb and Luther. I don’t recall Jorrit’s work.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Just a gorgeous reading of this Frank Loesser tune from the recent “Street of Dreams”. Not sure why Qobuz is featuring the cover photo of the two decades’ prior album, “Written in the Stars”.

5 Likes

1 Like

Women Power!

5 Likes

2 Likes

Vince some serious Women Power! here, pushing the envelop and exploring the genre.

3 Likes

Fast becoming one of my favorites! Recorded live in concert at Ystad Sweden Jazz Festival. Amazing SQ.

4 Likes

Thanks!

6 Likes

4 Likes

Artist pics are not necessarily connected album release date. I like that suit!

Richard Bonnet | guitare
Tony Malaby | saxophone
Sylvain Darrifourcq | batterie
Louis Sclavis | clarinette

Latest from the Jazzdor label. Based in France, obviously. Great music and sound.

3 Likes

2 Likes