Sunlight: Sound Impressions

Try this track:

6 Likes

What is the transformer mod?

After SACD AJA, CD CRIME OF THE CENTURY, I hear what some are calling brightness as more prominence. There seems to be better dynamics (lack of interfering noise?) and everything is clearer, cleaner. Especially on AJA it was really impressive!

It can be better than this? DACII, TSS…? Wow.

4 Likes

Wonder how many who recently sold their DSD Dac’s are regretting doing so before listening to the improvements Sunshine has brought to this Dac? If for no other reason than just curiosity.

3 Likes

There does seem to be a little more prominence in the top end, which depending on the recording can draw more attention to itself. But as with other firmware updates, they seem to need a certain amount of time to settle in before reaching their peak performance. There’s also the possibility that some speaker adjustments may need to be made after making any type of a change to your system. I’m going to let things run in before tinkering with toe in or any speaker adjustments.

4 Likes

You can replace the two output transformers with better quality EDCOR-XS4400.
Actually this upgrade is even bigger than any firmware upgrade since it is hardware.
Check out this thread.
Modding the DirectStream DAC

2 Likes

I may end up doing that, but I’m going to wait and see what the DSD II brings to the table, and what the final price will be after trade in.

I am curious. I guess that is why I am reading this thread. If the original release date had been met I would have got a taste for a couple days. Oh Well you all enjoy!

Awesome system! So glad to hear from another Carpenters fan! For me, it’s Goodbye to Love. Her voice on that song is perfect. The cymbal hits are so clean, and that overdriven guitar solo at the is idiosyncratically delicious.

It took me two tries to upload the FW. The first impression was smoother and cleaner sound. After I have it on for over an hour, and I think the DS is sounding better than earlier.

I did not have any popping sound issue between my PST and DS. Everything works fine. What I found is not only I can play louder, but also at low volume the sound is much better too.

1 Like

I discovered that the popping sound only happens when you switch from CD to SACD or vice versa. And it only happens for the first time after switching, at least that’s what I experienced with the PST / DSD with Sunshine.

4 Likes

I have been listening to reference tracks most of the day. This is big and is only getting better so far…

So far I like what I hear, can’t really place anything objective yet. Wont’ have alone time until later this week.

Sunlight sounds great, very clean and engaging. I’d say cleaner and more engaging than windom.

I did notice that my bass seems to roll-off a little faster on the really low end when compared to windom. It may simply be more correct now(not sure)…but my house isn’t shaking with some tracks at the same listening levels.

Did anyone else notice this?

2 Likes

There is discussion above about less distortion making it sound ‘quieter’ in some systems. I can’t say I’ve heard it yet, but still trying to place the differences.

1 Like

It’s not at all abnormal to need to reposition and/or reintegrate your subs (if you have any) and/or to change the toe on your speakers with software updates.

9 Likes

After an hour of assorted tracks:

The soundstage came forward significantly. With the musicians closer to me, I liked it best with one notch less volume on the integrated.

Clean, clean, transparent.

Transients happen faster.

More upper energy. Less low-mid and low energy. Yes, Ted, the subs may want another notch. :+1:

Very much enjoying the listening tonight.

3 Likes

I too get the popping when I go from tidal to DSD…but only on the first play.

1 Like

@tedsmith

Any suggestions on DSD Jr volume level? 100 sounds pretty dang good!

The DS Jr is best for some at around 84 (you shouldn’t need to go lower). If you listen to quieter music you can go louder. The problem with the Jr is that it has a higher noise floor than the DS Sr so some keep it louder for that reason.

1 Like