Sunlight: Sound Impressions

Definitely not mk2,PS Audio time to think of a new name for new dac,don´t you think ?
TSS Oblivion sounds good for the coming flagship model but now this upgraded DSD,well maybe not just mk2 :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

I have made so many changes to my system over the last few months. Selling off my LP collection brought a windfall of upgrades: new dedicated Win 10 music server, 75’ run of OM1 fiber, optical Rendu, matrix, two farad power supplies, and upgraded the DSD to the edcor transformers.

All of these changes have been nice and moved my system’s sound forward; however, the edcor transformers were the biggest change but left me struggling to find the proper bass balance. I have KEF Reference 1s (too close to the back wall) and a stereo pair of REL ti7 subs. I changed the port in the RELs to the shorter one and turned down the volume on the subs (increased the cross over point two notches). My system still suffered from the bass muddling my beautiful midrange.

I still have a decent amount of money left from the LP sale and need new tubes. I figured I’d wait to mess with sub settings further until I decided on, what has become an expensive proposition, NOS tubes.

Given all that, sunlight came along. I installed it right away (reboot after install and all), listened to a couple notes to make sure it worked then shut my system down till last night. On Fridays I usually end up listening to my long list of favorites (I random sort the list of 2700 and play from the top). It’s a wide selection of good and bad recordings of music I love.

Sunlight has brought the mid range on my system out of the mix and moved it forward. Just what the doctor ordered. I don’t hear anything out of character for my system, just a more articulate sound. I still have a bass problem on a few songs and will turn the dials a bit more. I played Idris Muhammad’s Loran’s dance last night and the bass overwhelmed the atmosphere; however, Charles Mingus’ bass never sounded better.

This is a very nice upgrade on my system. I’ve owned this marvelous DAC for about eight years now. It started life as the PWD, I had it upgraded by PSA to the DSD and upgraded with the edcor by @wctaudio. This machine has been the center of an amazing amount of life in my house. The best money I’ve ever spent on the hobby by a mile. I’ll wait a while after it’s out, but will be buying the mkII. In the mean time, I own a world class DAC that kept getting better! Thanks @tedsmith and PSA!

15 Likes

:+1: :+1:!!..

3 Likes

I was experiencing the same thing the other day. My system went from sounding awesome one day, then the next day I had a hard time listening to it because it was sounding very irritating. The firmware definitely takes some time to settle in, and the process at times is not linear, more like a rollercoaster ride. This can definitely make you feel like you’re going crazy at times.

4 Likes

Ted did mention that previously unused areas of the fpga are now in use with Sunlight. Maybe some are more “atrophied” than others, taking more time to run-in. I am still finding occasional harshness that is not there when compared directly to Windom.
Son’s wedding day today–YAY!!!
Tomorrow is supposed to be rainy, perfect for playing around with this all day.

4 Likes

Day 2 Yesterday after all night streaming room for break-in. I spent 8 hours listening. Part of it in focus position about two hours as background. It amazes me how razor perfect Sunlight images with Lyngdorf RoomPerfect activated for focus position. I also tried the global mode. Still excellent more bass of course you just can’t draw a line to performers as well. Then for grins I killed the DSP absolutely no bass muddled which was in the past possible only on about 75 percent of what one listened too with DSP off. I listened about 3 hours without DSP then went back to Focus. Focus was still the best imaging and the most musical information down to the centimeter placement. But I must say i think I could convert to non DSP preamp if I desired using Sunlight firmware. Windom was still very good without DSP but Sunlight sure articulated the mid bass whereas clear imaging in that all background instruments and singers were not buried in the cylindrical sound waves from my line arrays in the latest firmware without DSP. More rock concert rather than private chamber music imaging having no DSP.

2 Likes

Reading this morning I realized that I didn’t restart after installing Sunlight. I can’t remember if I should pop out the SD card first. I know it will reload if left in.

Also, what’s the consensus about leaving the card in all the time? I thought I read somewhere that people have noticed a sq difference for the better if left installed.

Thanks in advance!
Vince

Leave card in for better SQ?
Can you please explain why.

I may have imagined reading this. I need to bookmark more here on the forum.

Maybe it was a blank card.

Is it memory that’s the first thing to go?

For bridge users there might be some (at least theoretical) impact with SD card installed as bridge is saving album art to SD card. I don’t think SD card is ever used after DAC bootup if there is no bridge card installed thus (again theroretically) there should be no SQ impact.
For peace of mind and no unwanted firmware reloads I keep SD card unloaded, but still kinda hanging in the slot so I’d not lose it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I thought I had read to take the card out…but I’m older than you…

1 Like

The question is, which part of the state (NC) are you in?

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Sunlight: Installation and Technical Issues

Just update; press once to release SD and leave it like that till next time …

I installed the Sunlight update. More fluid, detailed, smoother, better bass control, clarity, more separation between instruments, larger soundstage, strings sound more natural, voices as well. Started playing quad files and they sound great. However, when using Roon it dies not recognize that the DSD can play quad files. It only recognizes double. Roon will have to update its software to address this.

Regarding the Bridge II, is the “noise” generated by its being installed readily noticeable? And in what way? I only use it when decoding MQA files.

From memory, bridge noise gives you a thicker, less detailed sound

I don’t know how you have things hooked up for Roon, but the Bridge can’t do quad, only I2S does quad.

2 Likes

Mine is connected with I2S playing via Roon and the DAC sees DSD256 without fault.

2 Likes

No quad on the Bridge. Quad with I2S.

Yes, because you are using Roon Rock. I use a dedicated music server with Roon core.