Telefunken G73R

Hi,

I don’t see a link to the site where you purchased these tubes. I may have missed it. Would you mind (re)sharing?

Thanks!

It’s over in the “tube related sites” thread, here you go

Vintage Audio & New Old Stock audio tube (audioantiquary.com)
TELEFUNKEN G73R (audioantiquary.com)
looks like they are out of stock

1 Like

Hello john2213,

I hope you don’t mind me asking, but you’ve had nearly a year now with these tubes, could you give me any more thoughts on them.

I missed out on buying from the same seller you did, but I found another seller and am very interested in these tubes and ultimately how the perform and continue too…

Thanks,

Nige

Hi,
Welcome to the forum, you’ve chosen wisely, its a good one!

Regarding the G73R’s no real change from my impressions above. They are still among my favorites. I have a big selection of 12AU7 variants to choose from and I am a “fiddler” so I roll tubes in my preamp every couple of months. These tubes present the widest and deepest soundstage of any tubes I have tried and without a doubt the most extended highs that just sparkle with life, it is quite addicting

As stated, they are a little light in the bottom and some who have heard them in my system have said they are too smooth and not “punchy” enough for them, I disagree and find the weight/density perfect to my ear

All that said, I would have a hard time choosing between the 73R and my Siemens 5814 3-mica’s which are a bit more neutral and just do everything well, an all-around solid performer

Don’t know your source but be cautious as there are quite a few used G73R’s out there that may have had a hard life in avionics applications. What do you plan to use them in? Also there are currently some Telefunkin 6198 for sale here in the marketplace. I’ve bought tubes from this seller; they are outstanding and currently in my CF-80

Best,
-JP

Hi JP,

Thanks for the reply and welcome.

As always the way we individually perceive the sound of any given piece of equipment, etc., is what makes this interest of ours so great and sometimes frustrating at the same time…

So, I’ll be using it as the input tube on my AN (UK) Tomei integrated., so i actually only need one.

I currently have a Telefunken ECC802s in the position, and do sometimes feel the bass could be a little more extended, so your comments are of great interest in this respect! It doesn’t mean I would go for them but it also means I’d like to try others.

As for others, I have on good recommendation from other AN users I’m very much interested in an ECC186, which are supposed to provide a very balanced presentation of the music.

I have an option of a single ECC186 as well as a pair of G73R’s. The ECC186 is definitely NOS whilst the G73R’s are probably not, but test results are very good and balanced, and at the price are a good option. They are also more scare and so getting some now is probably the best option…

I’ll look at the Tele. 6189’s as i had a GE 6189 in before the 802, but it started to fail so hence having the 802 in the amp at the mo, and its the need of a backup tube as much as anything thats making me interested in other tubes.

Thanks,

Nige.

1 Like