The latest Ask Paul video - Arnie Nudell’s one of a kind speakers for sale!

I’m looking back 50 years here, but I owned and enjoyed Infinity Quantum 5 speakers way back when. They sported only one emit tweeter, a dome midrange and a Watkins woofer. The emit tweeter beamed a bit, but was better than the KLH speakers they replaced. I lusted after the Infinity Quantum line sources but settled on Snell type A-1’s which fit my apartment very well. They were driven by Naim electronics because the Naim had a built in moving coil phono preamp. I acquired an English leaning at the time and had to have a Linn Sondek with Grace 707 tone arm and Supex E plus super cartridge.
Of course, all of that became irrelevant when I heard Audio Research tubed electronics for the first time.
Please excuse my reverie.

My first high end preamp was an Audio Research SP9 MkII way back then. I heard it with a VTL ST80 tubed power amps at an audiophile friend’s place and heard soundstage for the first time. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I was hooked.
I believe Arnie Nudell also was into Audio Research.

I was on the ARC path for a long time. I owned an SP10 preamp which I traded my Snell speakers for. My dealer in Charlotte, NC talked me into an SP-9. Multiple LS models followed, along with amps such as the Classic 60 and Classic 100 monoblocks. I was very good at replacing screen resistors and repairing traces on the circuit board. My last ARC amp was the VT100 mk3. I migrated to VTL MB450 monoblocks after that. I still have those but play my BHK 300’s most of the time. I recapped the VTL’s a few years ago and hope to sell them. Do you know anyone in the market for some bigass tubed amps?
Cheers,
John

No, but you shouldn’t have too much trouble selling those. They are excellent sounding amps. My friend went from the VTL ST80s to the VTL MB250 Signatures, and now the Lamm M2.1s, which is just about as good as it gets. They are tubed input stage just like the BHK 300s.

In my circle of friends, no one uses a PS audio amplifier for their Infinity speaker.
I do not think there are many in the EU who do that

1 Like

I use an Esoteric A-02 with my 3b’s. It’s like a match made in heaven. Both the amp and speakers has the same basic sound signature. A sense of ease, very organic sounding, and tremendous micro detail and resolution. With the emit tweeters, the high frequency extension and air went to another level when I change to the VCaps and Duelund resisters.

The Infinity speakers do show pretty big differences in not only in amps, which are crucial, but in everything else that you use it with. If I had the room, I definitely would be playing with some of their bigger brothers.

1 Like

There are a lot of problems with the old speaker lol … but that does not make it better to put BHK on.
More love Michael.

1 Like

I did tried mine with the BHK 250. While it did sounded very respectable, even better than the previous Bryston 14sst and Mark Levinson 223, it’s the Esoteric that really bring out the best of these speakers, and leave these other amps in the dust.

1 Like

BHK 250 on my RS 3b is ok with me, but no more as ok. There is a lack of beats from 200-800 HZ and the bass itself I am not so happy about. It is too small for the other systems and they are too small for the other large systems (bass systems) that is my opinion. It is too small for the other systems and they are too small for the other large systems (bass systems /250/300) that is my opinion.
more love Michael

I play my music loud lol

1 Like

The BHK plays reasonably well with the old IMF speaker…

1 Like

Boy, these are really vintage! Love the 2 little tweeters on the front. Are those transmission line woofers?

I think your circle of friends spends a lot more money on their amps than I do. And if those are Krell KSA amps on the woofers, they would not function on my Epsilon’s.

Transmission-line

http://www.imf-electronics.com/Home/imf/speaker-range/reference-speakers/professional-monitor/professional-monitor-mkiii

It was expensive cabinets to manufacture … see the weight. The bass from that speaker is something special. You may be startled if you play properly made music. Paul’s speaker designer talks about the system in one of the videos they’ve made about speakers.

If you see this Infinity speaker. The little bass, it was in a chamber to itself. try to read the advertisement.

1 Like

You are probably right. I do not remember Epsilon’s filter de amp used bla. to kappa 9 m.m. and the photos are by Sigma. Yes they spend a lot of money on amplifier. But again if your BKH clears the must and you are happy. This is most important when you have Infinity
:hearts:

https://pmc-speakers.com/products/consumer/fact/fenestria

1 Like