The potential life of a P20

I love my P20 having had it for less than a month. Looking at the info on the touch screen, I was surprised by how “dirty” my AC is coming into my house. On a normal day, the THD is 4.5. On a bad day, it has been as high as 6.9. The voltage coming in is about 124. All this is being corrected to .1 THD and 119.9 going out. So, is my P20 “working” exceptionally hard and thus reducing its useful life?

No, there are no ‘consumables’ in the P20 that wear out over time. The only thing that kills electronics is too much heat and voltages that go over the parts’ ratings because of voltage spikes (like form lightning storms).

So keep it well ventilated and shut it off in lightning storms, and it should last more than 10 years.

My amp was 25 years old when I retired it. It still works, but I wanted something better.

–SSW

1 Like

Call me misinformed, but I thought the P20 provided some form of protection from voltage spikes.

To some extent, yes, but a direct lightning strike on the incoming house wire would be tough to protect against. But maybe Paul has that figured out . . . .

No. A direct lightning strike on a home that is not properly grounded would be disastrous to anything plugged into any outlet or Power Plant. The frequency of these instances are so rare as to be inconsequential. You might be better off worrying about being hit by a meteorite.

Bottom line is this. A Power Plant provides as good or better protection from surges, spikes, and nearby lightning strikes than any product in the world. Nothing can protect against a direct hit of lightning to an ungrounded home.

It is working exceptionally well and its hard work does not reflect in its longevity. It’s not like a car or a human. It doesn’t care how hard it works and that work has zero effect on its lifespan. Power Plants are over designed for long life. Expect decades of quality service.

1 Like

Paul, when/if it’s time for a pacemaker, just skip it. Go straight for a Power Plant…:wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply.

Didn’t I read on other P20 posts that these units use MOV’s to suppress spikes and protect our equipment? And if so, I thought that MOV’s wear out as they “take hits”. Wouldn’t this limit a P20’s life?

1 Like

I think I know the answer to what I am about to ask. So, to be extra cautious, should I hook up the P20 to something like a Furman for added protection, since I would like to protect my substantial investment? I remember seeing/reading that one should not do that. Correct?

2 Likes

Thanks for the chuckle!

1 Like

Exactly. You can if it makes you feel better, but it’s good to remember just how well protected the P20 is - certainly every bit as well as a Furman and better in many ways because it also regulates the voltage unlike the Furman.

Paul, how about my MOV question? Does the P20 use them? And, if so, any implications on service life for the unit?

1 Like

It does use MOVs and I don’t believe in all the years we’ve been building them we’ve ever lost one. The type we use are pretty much state of the art and extremely tough.

Another way to go would be to use a surge protector at the panel.

Thanks, Paul - - good to know!