TSS Two Chassis Super DAC

Isn´t this more of a music playback app for Octave than a setup app?

Yep, buried within would be the configuration pages for the hardware. i.e. a one-stop app for controlling everything that you might want to do (perhaps including support for 3rd party devices like lighting, HVAC and shutter control etc). Which is what my iPad can do…it would be nice if the PS ecosystem could do the same.

Oh c’;mon, non-owner guy…

1 Like

Then have you thought of divorcing your endpoints such as a DAC from the transport components? You can then monetize the transport infrastructure to a huge market.

You can publish “connectors” where other makers of say DACs can provide plugins so that your software would operate their DACs… a nice way to grab potential PS Audio customers without having to go whole in… and it may be profitable in itself.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

If the reason why I’m a non-owner guy any more was rectified then I might become an owner guy again.

1 Like

Has the design for the TSS two box solution been frozen wrt. the cabinet size?
Will it be two PWD chassis?

Baring unforeseen problems. I don’t think it’s too different than Paul’s rendering. The boxes are a little taller than the PWD/DS/DMP and there will be a digital box and an analog box.

See

and a few more posts.

1 Like

Thx, but I am a little confused whether there will be another box in addition to the 5’’ chassis?
Isn’t the 5’’ height containing the whole shebang?
I am not sure if 2 boxes (on feet) will fit on one shelf innside a standard 5U rack.

There isn’t a separate power supply box or the like. Just two very similar boxes: the digital box and the analog box each with their own power cords and connected with an optical fiber cable.

If you are going to stack the digital and analog boxes you’ll probably need 6 or 7U.

The digital box can be placed anywhere convenient, and perhaps plugging it in near your computer or other source would make sense. Then the optical interconnect between the digital and analog boxes would reach to your audio stack - keeping the digital noise from the source from being near the analog (including keeping the digital interconnects away from the analog.

1 Like

Thx.
Is it ST, LC or SC you are using for fiber? I guess it is OM1, 850nM?
Also, when can we expect to see a rendering of the back panels?
Nevertheless, I expect the two chassis can be placed far apart, but maybe it is advantagous to power them from the same source (e.g. Powerplant)?

No, it shouldn’t matter where you power the digital box. It shouldn’t hurt to power it from a conditioned source, but it shouldn’t make much of a difference to the digital box and as a matter of principle I’d like to keep all of my digital as far as possible from the analog.

The optical interconnect is POF, it’s connectorless, here’s a video showing an installation :

There’s a little discussion of it in the following post and below:

1 Like

The connectors on the back panel should look familiar. The digital box will have similar connectors to the digital card in the DS Sr, with an additional AES3 input and the optical connecter near the middle. I think the USB and Ethernet connectors will be above the power switch (i.e. not on the digital board.)

The analog box will have the left channel RCA/XLR and the right channel RCA/XLR well separated with the fiber connector in the middle.

1 Like

I’ve already expressed my interest to a local dealer…

My question, I know it’s always tough to quantify but how much of an improvement can we expect over DSD w/Snowmass? IMO Snowmass was a 15-20% improvement over Red Clouds. Other feel it’s more than that but to me it sounded like the difference between two amps of same design where one has had better caps installed. I’m told that TSS will be at least 2x DSD so I’m wondering from Ted/Paul’s standpoint will it be a ‘holy cr** this blows away DSD’ or whether it will be of the magnitude of earlier DSD software to Snowmass.

Can’t wait to hear it.

Bear in mind that IT DOES NOT EXIST at this point. Not that I doubt in any way, shape or form that it will be wonderful, but…seriously.

I mean, the guy has been able to make shocking improvements via software/firmware on THE SAME DAC. Why would you wonder what he could do with changes in HARDWARE?

(Please excuse the use of CAPS, but, rully…)

1 Like

I understand, and I was told the exact price isn’t known but I should figure on something between $15k-$20k. Obviously a LOT more than DSD so I was wondering what the target was sound wise.

I’ll admit to not having heard current state-of-the-art DACs in my system recently, but DSD w/Snowmass is pretty damn good. I can’t believe the best are THAT much better than it.

All of these comparisons are pretty nebulous. Some felt that the Snowmass was a “holy cr**” experience, some stated that it was a bigger difference than upgrading … in their systems.

A lot of the focus of the TSS is getting out of the way of the music, but also the TSS will be a better citizen, it will interfere less with existing systems. In that sense a lot of the improvement may depend a lot on the system it’s put into. The TSS will have plenty of grounding options to allow it to coexist in more systems. It will allow more separation of the digital and analog parts of systems. It will be nicer to the power source, taking most of it’s current when other analog devices aren’t taking current.

The TSS will have a lower analog noise floor (3 to 6dB) and with a more powerful FPGA I should be able to get the DSD upsampling sigma delta modulator’s noise floor down a little more.

The sound stage should be at least as much more solid and defined compared to the DS with Snowmass as the Snowmass was to earlier releases.

I suspect that after listening to the TSS going back to an older DAC will be hard.

7 Likes

Just in case you want more details on the POF, the TSS with be using 650 nm w/ 2.2mm jacketed POF. It should go at least 70 meters with no problem. We’ll probably be using the 1mm core. There’s also a lower loss cable, but it shouldn’t be needed for home use at all.

1 Like

The target, sound wise, is that it suck so that they don’t sell any ; )

The DSD DACs are state of the art, FPGA DACs, at a reasonable price compared with the other FPGA-based DACs.

Is this still underway? What is a realistic time to market? Realistic msrp?

I was not happy with DS SR. for the $5.5K I had paid. At the current $4k it is a nice deal. My gripes were to many finnicky bugs and case that looked like $200 unit. Was replaced 3 times. Went with a competitor but at $13,000. This seems more what I am looking for.

I will take it out and try Snowmass. The case is no big deal honestly. A good sounding device need not even have a case but to protect it IMO. The bugs were intolerable. Dead screens, bricked etc, Well known issues but luckily not rampant.

The fact that the 8 or so posts on this thread were less than a day old should say something.

Paul’s most recent responses to the poll about when it would be released:

As Paul has stated the price will be a straight ratio of the cost to build. That can’t be finalized until we have one working. There have been many guesses, I was shooting for $15, but that just wasn’t realistic, $18? $20?

2 Likes