Tube preamps

Let’s just avoid bashing any country, be it China, the States, or any other country.

This behavior appears more often than it should, with these two countries taking the brunt.

3 Likes

I won’t mention brands, but I did own full tube and hybrids in the past from respected brands. Things evolved over the years, and I must admit BHk’s pre sound quality at this price point is among the best I ever owned. And yes tube rolling came in quite handy.

2 Likes

Since we are allowed by law to have our own opinions in most parts of the western hemisphere, although that also remains to be seen with that big tech censorship going on, I have to say that my remarks about China have nothing to do with the quality of their products. I mean, just about everything I use typing this message is fabricated in China. And that in itself bothers me greatly. What I really mean is the way we handled other countries (and areas), currently and in the past, politically and economically compared to how we treat China today is something I just can’t get straight in my intellectual well being. I know it is my problem and I know the majority doesn’t even care, but I do… I know and realize I am a guest in this house and I will behave accordingly, so in the future I will tone down the rhetoric.

3 Likes

Given that we live in a global economy and we (US) tend to want things as cheap as possible, we get parts, etc. from everywhere. Also if one can get a part cheaper and at times better from another country, this is what we do.

The days of “Made in America” is really “Assembled in America”. Very few companies actually make everything in America. We all say we will pay more for “Made in America” but will we? If all of the parts of the DSD were made in the US and it cost 2K more, would they sell just as many?

At the end of the day companies have to make money to be in business.

PS. I’m sure the same is for other countries.

Just my 0.02 (before taxes) :grin:

1 Like

It is unfair to assume that because a component isn’t 100% American content the intellectual debate about Chinese made goods is irrelevant. That is an absolutist argument that isn’t truly germane.
The issue for me is not about price. It is a principled stand based on matters I hold dear such as human rights, freedom, governance, fairness in commerce, etc. and that is why I temper my purchase decisions by considering whether I want to put my dollars in China’s bank. More to the point, even ‘Assembled in America’ means my dollars are going into the pockets of my countrymen at something other than slavish wage scale. Yes, absolutely I do knowingly pay more for audio gear built in the United States, EU or even in Japan. Because I have some confidence by doing so I’m supporting societies with a semblance of decency (in my mind at least, which is all that matters when I make decisions about how to spend my money). Does that mean my mind can’t be changed? Absolutely not. I attended graduate school with Chinese nationals during Tiananmen Square. I saw the impulse for something better. When I see it in practice my views about buying China made audio goods can certainly be changed. I too pledge to keep the rhetoric civilized, but the conversation isn’t going way.

2 Likes

Except that I really like KT88 power tubes in my amp…

P.S. My tube line stage (preamp) and tube amp are made in Canada…

2 Likes

so with a tube preamp[say primaluna] and solid state[ psa m700s] amps,would there be any synergy lost, meaning tube preamp with solid state amps?

I agree with the comment above that generalizations aren’t appropriate as there ARE syrupy, thick solid state preamps and fast dynamic tube preamps, both topologies can be all over the map.

For me, it’s always tube. I grew up with a modified Dynaco set up my Dad had in the early 'sixties and kept into the 'eighties, and though I went solid state on my own at first, I ended up going back to tubes, at first the classic sound of a '59 EICO integrated and then for over twenty five years now I’ve been a Decware user and have become addicted to their fast and detailed and dynamic and three-dimensional gear. I’ve auditioned a few solid state components since, even owned one that I liked for a spell, but I think I’ll always be a tube person. And I just don’t get enough out of hybrid integrateds or a tube pre and solid state amp, or vice versa. . . I find that music is more “real” to me and connects with me more from tubes.

3 Likes

Well, I have yet to hear a Class D amp that has synergy with a good tube preamp. But, there are plenty of solid state Class A amps that do. For example, my Pioneer M-22 has great synergy with my tube line stage.

The M700 Monoblocks are excellent Class D amps that have very good synergy with the BHK Pre, which is a great preamp with tubes.

3 Likes

Or you could just check your sanity in at the door and go with the new BALANCED AUDIO TECHNOLOGY REX 3 PREAMPLIFIER (tube) at just $30k. I call it a dream…the Doc calls it a delusion. :blush:

1 Like

I like the M1200s and they are class D, but I haven’t checked for synergy with the BHK pre or similar. I have used a homemade prephono, but its s/n ratio is probably a little too rough to be a reasonable test…

I still have not found a Class D amp that I can listen to for more than an hour without getting a headache. That kills any possible synergy right there.

1 Like