Tunes to test/express MIDRANGE

This is one of three posts… Bass, Midrange, Treble…

So, what are your favorite recordings to:

1 - Show off human voice? Dig chicks? Guys? Both? Hey we are all one here.
2 - Cool violins and other midrange instruments?

Testing treble: Tunes to test/express TREBLE
Testing bass: Tunes to test/express BASS

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Female vocals

Agnes Obel - Riverside
Orenda Fink - Poor Little Bear

Finally! a post about midrange!!! And your choice of female vocals is fabulous. I often wonder if there is something in a male’s DNA where female, mother, sounds are so darn appealing. Anywho…

So… why not test records for midrange? Isn’t this is where the music is? The emotion? The je ne sais quoi of music. The music of music?

C’mon folks… midrange is what is all about and you don’t have “go to” test records for this? Why?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

I like this one as I am a sucker for 50’s female jazz vocalists:

SX425

Oh, voices…

I’m a country music lover so Miranda Lambert and Maren Morris come to mind. Both have beautiful voices.

1 Like

Amanda Shires, Allen Toussaint and Caitlin Canty

Just to throw in a male

Great topic.
So my go to for vocals is usually Norah Jones first.

But listen to Johnny Hartman w Coltrane. He is like a Sinatra with a big dose of smooove.

Speaking of Sinatra - what is this thing called love?

To round it out. Put on some dean martin. I’ve grown accustomed to your face.

I had one of these evenings like this and there is something magical about these old recordings. I’m not an ‘oldster’ - but for the first time I really listened to Dean Martin - and ask yourself - Does anybody sound like this guy? Nobody does.

1 Like

Johnny Hartman Coltrane. Wow… great pick. Dean? He da man… seriously. Good picks.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Haha. You know it on Maggie 20.7s. :). Bruce - the Philadelphia orchestra - Tchaikovsky 6th in dsd. Pretty sublime and fro philly!

@bruce-in-philly I know we’ve neglected this thread while focusing on bass; I wanted to add a longtime favorite in male vocals I use as reference:

In addition to voices, piano. Try this Octave, Dave Grusin piano thing that you might have heard about.

2 Likes

Yay Dave Gruisin…try Mountain Dance album