Tunes to test/express TREBLE

This is one of three posts… Bass, Midrange, Treble…

So, what are your favorite recordings to:

1 - Make your ears bleed? Dogs howl? Aliens charge weapons?
2 - Understand treble capability - the real reason for the system
3 - Test treble using awful 60’s records recorded way too hot. Tunes you love but are so darn bright… well you know what they are.

Testing treble: Tunes to test/express MIDRANGE
Testing bass: Tunes to test/express BASS

Peace
Bruce in Philly

1 Like

I hear crickets when I should be hearing some test record to explore treble capabilities? Why none?

For me, I use Brubeck records and listen for Morello’s cymbals. Or an old Art Blakey recording for, again, cymbals.

High frequency capability can make or break a system by making it fatiguing or boring. Top end also is a component of imaging as your ear/brain system uses this high stuff for localization. This stuff is important. Unsquare Dance is an acid of sorts for me for both high frequency quality and imaging.

A music teach friend of mine … we were listening to an Art Blakey record… or was it a Clifford Brown record… anywho… my friend pointed out to me how Art was changing cymbals to better fit with the timbre of the soloist’s instrument . Shiny for piano… dull for trumpet. Interesting… nether thought of drumming like that.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Great thread idea. Here some of these tracks, where I usually focus on the cymbals:

And two, where the guitar gets my attention: