Unrestricted Air Flow Around P10 [and BHK amp]

Hi All:

I’ve looked in the user manuals and forums for an answer to this, but have not found one.

My BHK 300 amps arrive today, and my P10s arrive Monday. I am re-arranging items in my main shelving rack. I realize that air flow like the Altamonte Pass would be ideal, but pragmatically, I either need to place both amps and regenerators in the cabinet [a nice large, wide, deep rosewood cabinet with open back], or one set [either the amps or the regens] on the floor. The floor has thick pile carpeting. While I am waiting on custom Mapleshade platforms, I will use a PowerBase on the carpet if the cabinet cannot accommodate both [I think it can].

1. What would be the minimum recommended spacing around each unit? Right now, my Merrill Veritas amps and P5 units have been functioning quite nicely in the cabinet, each with approximately 1.5 to 2 inches all around the chassis [plus open back & front]. Both the BHK and the P10 will require more height, but I can adjust for the height and still preserve 1-2 inches of free space around all surfaces. Will that be sufficient?

2. Both the P10s and the BHKs are amplifiers; is either more or less sensitive to air flow, in case I have to pick one to be exiled from the cabinet?

Thanks!

I hope Paul will jump in and provide the info; it’s important and really should be in the manual. (My BHK sits out on the floor so I don’t feel qualified to comment.)

Me too. I was surprised that the otherwise thorough manuals did not address this issue.

I recall this being discussed in the past, but could not find the specific post I remembered. I did find a post where Paul responded to a member who was concerned about the P5 in a cabinet. Paul said the following “The parts inside the P5 start degrading rapidly near 80°C and I’d certainly not want to get even close to that. I don’t have a ready temperature limit I can hand out but my rule of thumb has always been pretty accurate. If the unit is too hot to keep your hand on, it’s likely too hot.” If you don’t get a response from Paul and the three fit in the cabinet I would try it and give it the “hand” test after a good warm up.

palerider said Hi All:

I’ve looked in the user manuals and forums for an answer to this, but have not found one.

My BHK 300 amps arrive today, and my P10s arrive Monday. I am re-arranging items in my main shelving rack. I realize that air flow like the Altamonte Pass would be ideal, but pragmatically, I either need to place both amps and regenerators in the cabinet [a nice large, wide, deep rosewood cabinet with open back], or one set [either the amps or the regens] on the floor. The floor has thick pile carpeting. While I am waiting on custom Mapleshade platforms, I will use a PowerBase on the carpet if the cabinet cannot accommodate both [I think it can].

1. What would be the minimum recommended spacing around each unit? Right now, my Merrill Veritas amps and P5 units have been functioning quite nicely in the cabinet, each with approximately 1.5 to 2 inches all around the chassis [plus open back & front]. Both the BHK and the P10 will require more height, but I can adjust for the height and still preserve 1-2 inches of free space around all surfaces. Will that be sufficient?

2. Both the P10s and the BHKs are amplifiers; is either more or less sensitive to air flow, in case I have to pick one to be exiled from the cabinet?

Thanks!

Both of these units are over-heatsunk meaning they have far more thermal mass than they require. They can’t be in a sealed box, obviously, but out in the open or with some ventilation they should be fine. There aren’t any set rules for distance, but a few inches should be sufficient.

I suppose it would have been helpful to add these words to the owner’s manual. Sorry, I shall endeavor to do so.

Thanks Paul.