Uptone Audio Regen and DS

Regen is a USB thing, as is the Jitterbug. Both seem to be inexpensive USB enhancements, much more reasonable than all but the cheapest audiophile cables.

J.P.

Yeah, if you’re using the Bridge you’re already getting better sound than any USB arrangement.

+1 in my experience.

+1, but with a caveat. With the bridge it’s still not posible to use the best player I heard and used; Roon.

Interesting. Though I love Roon’s interface, I have never been happy with its sound. That’s one reason I am excited about the potential to have it on the Bridge, because then we don’t listen to the sound of its server. Still have fingers crossed that will happen.

(This went with an earlier post which has been removed) Feel free to delete this one because it makes no sense in this thread now.laugh

6a00d8341c4fe353ef0133edb5de38970b-800wi.jpg

???

A friend brought over his Regen lest weekend and I was quite impressed at the improvement. Certainly a “darker” background and it seemed allow a more realistic radiation of “air” around individual sounds. Amazing what can be done by reducing vs adding.

We are also in hot pursuit of power supply upgrades [European suppliers] for the Regen, Aries, Aries Mini, SBT and all wall warts in general. My friend had a rather expensive one with him and it too made a difference even with my P10 in the loop. I am looking for a viable and cost effective PSU solution that is reasonably priced. Anyone found one that made a noticeable SQ difference?

gordon said A friend brought over his Regen lest weekend and I was quite impressed at the improvement. Certainly a "darker" background and it seemed allow a more realistic radiation of "air" around individual sounds. Amazing what can be done by reducing vs adding.

We are also in hot pursuit of power supply upgrades [European suppliers] for the Regen, Aries, Aries Mini, SBT and all wall warts in general. My friend had a rather expensive one with him and it too made a difference even with my P10 in the loop. I am looking for a viable and cost effective PSU solution that is reasonably priced. Anyone found one that made a noticeable SQ difference?

Hi Gordon,

have a look on this site: https://www.sbooster.com/

2 friends of mine have the sboost for the aries and indeed there is an SQ improvement.

You may know this already but there are several Regen threads on CA where diff p supplies are discussed extensively.

THANKS GUYS

Actually Sbooster are sending me some samples to test. If it does as claimed we will negotiate a dealer deal. I also have read good reports and they are “reasonably” priced.

Will check out the CA threads again as I may have missed some.

Hdplex, Teradak & Uptone JS-2 are widely used. I will use the hdplex for the Regen that I am getting this month sometime. hdplex lpsu is among the best price to performance, whereas Js-2 is said to lead the pack in terms of power quality (if at all it matters with Regen) and also obviously the most expensive of the three.

Paul McGowan said Interesting. Though I love Roon's interface, I have never been happy with its sound. That's one reason I am excited about the potential to have it on the Bridge, because then we don't listen to the sound of its server. Still have fingers crossed that will happen.
Sorry for bringing back the Roon issue, but I just received an answer from the Roon's team, at their forum, saying that there is no chance to run Roon on the bridge. Quote of Brian's reply:
The PS Audio bridge will not run RoonServer--it's not nearly powerful enough. It's an endpoint.

BUMMER, but not too surprised

The discussion is if the BridgeII can run Roon Speaker, not if it can run Roon Server.

Thks, I missed that but they may have meant Speaker.

Sorry if I understood wrong, but Brian from Roon referred explicitly to Roon server, not speaker, as quoted.

Yes, originally the goal was to embed the server but it was early on appearant that this was not possible. The BII simply has not got the required processing power onboard. Since then, I understood it was all about the Speaker.

Hope they will succeed at least on this option, albeit not so exciting. Looks like the pc/mac will remain…

This is why I am looking at the Elac Discovery, hosting the Roon Server. It does not have I2s output, though.

Alex at Uptone is working on a PS for the Regen and he seems pretty excited about the improvement his tests are showing.

Probably not deliverable till early 2016 but worth keeping an eye/ear open for.

I keep wondering, given the apparent improvements achieved with fuses, chips, magnets, cables, isolation, power supplies etc, if PSA can come up with an “integrated” device that incorporates many of these electro-tweeks and blows us away. Woo Hoo.

Alright, guess it is time for an official update on the mystery piece:

John and I recently made some heavy technical decisions on the development of our new supply (the whole thing really is a mind-blower and even has an FPGA in it) so that the “brains” of it can be used and scaled in multiple ways–for both licensing to other manufacturers, DIY, and vastly higher amperage versions (such high-amperage versions would not be for at least another year and the first of such will likely be a good bit more expensive than a JS-2–so don’t stop ordering JS-2s!). So the release of the affordable, 1A, 5/7V version–for REGEN and other uses–has been delayed until very early 2016.
Given the nature of what we are attempting, it is better to do it right than to do it fast. Still, John is working furiously (but happily) on it many hours per week. It is just that PCB turn-around time, coding, testing, etc. all make the weeks roll by.

With regards the selling plan: The new supply (think I even posted a picture of the case upthread somewhere) will initially be sold 3 ways (but the unit itself is always exactly the same):

1) As a complete and usable by anyone product–needing a selectable 5V/1A, 7V/1A–kit with a 12V/1.5A SMPS “energizing” unit;

1. As an add-on for people who already have a REGEN and will use the 7.5V/2.93A SMPS that came with the REGEN to “energize” the new supply (Or for those who have some other suitable LPS or SMPS they wish to feed it–12V/1.5A, 9V/2A, or 7.5V/2.5A min.; remember, the “energizing” supply will have ZERO effect on the final output, but if the rest of your system does not like SMPS harmonics injecting into the mains then an LPS could be chosen–LPSs, unless choke-filtered, also kick crap back into the wall–just at much lower frequencies.)

2. As a bundle with a REGEN, in which case the powering SMPS is likely to be an easier to source and perhaps slightly small 12V/1.5A unit.

Variations “2)” and “3)” will offer a modest savings since one less SMPS need be shipped.

And all versions will come with a 70cm, 16awg coax with 5.5mm x 2.1mm plugs at both ends. This is a custom cable I had 1,000 units made of–and with a right-angle plug at one end per some requests. Here is a pic:

dc-cable-pic.jpg