"Vocal forward" recording

So, since I’ve started listening to more detail oriented equipment (SGCD, Emotiva XPA monoblocks, Magnepan LRS, PC running Audirvana/QoBuz), I’ve noticed that, to my ears, the vocals on a lot of music (jazz esp) seems very vocal forward, often overplaying the rest of the music. I notice this with Diana Krall stuff as well. Is this just me getting adjusted or is it “a thing”?

IMO more clarity and dynamics can mean more immediate midband. It’s a question of bass capability of the setup if the rest of the spectrum can keep track.

More revealing equipment at a level that doesn’t yet play full range not rarely sounds much better with very rich recordings but not so in tonality with others.

The.more revealing generally and the more controlled in bass components get, the louder you may want the bass to play (which then sounds gorgeous).

I had frustrating high end phases for similar reasons…I soldered a lot at speakers for that reason at this time.
Observe if you are really happy with your tonality…if not and you don’t want to change further components, try something like the Decware EQ stuff @Lonson uses. Although that’s not purism, it might make you really happy.

IMO you don’t have to get “used” to a sound…it has to sound better for you generally.

1 Like

I’ll mention that in the past many jazz vocal performances were recorded with an emphasis on the vocals, presented respectively louder than the “band.” This was a method favored by Norman Granz for example for his Norgran, Clef, MGM and Verve et al labels to feature artists such as Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Billy Eckstine, Billie Holiday, Anita O’Day, Helen Merrill and many others. Some modern recordings may pay homage or decide to mimic that style–I don’t know as I don’t listen to a LOT of modern jazz vocalists, and for example have only really gotten to know the earliest Diana Krall albums in trio style. Sometimes the “voice forward” may be a recording and production method.