Vocals too loud in the center

I was a trumpeter. I shared a house for a year with a jazz drummer from New York. That guy was amazing. Last I heard he was having wrist surgery - I asked him if I could have his sticks - which he didn’t think was a very funny joke. But when was the last time you met a trumpeter who was serious about anything?

3 Likes

Thanks, David. I think they’re very good for the PS Audio Stellar M-1200 mono blocks and the mostly acoustic types of music I like.

1 Like

My best friend is a trumpeter. . . perhaps almost as serious as they come. . .or Elk!

2 Likes

I hadn’t noticed that, not that I listen to that song regularly. But it makes sense since Em is the relative minor of GM. If it ever pops up on a radio of mine again, I’ll pay more attention.

Shoot, I thought someone would do that. I have no idea whether that is what really happens - he said something LIKE that about “Afternoon Delight.” I still think the song isn’t the greatest, but I did learn that there’s something good to find in almost any song. Now if that DOES happen, maybe my memory is better than I thought!

Well, I guess there’s got to be ONE serious trumpeter out there somewhere. All I know is that every trumpet player I ever met had a crazy side… oh, wait, I did meet a guy named Scott Thornburg who like me was studying with Gil Johnson - the principal trumpet with the Philadelphia Orch. when Gene Ormandy was there. Scott was pretty serious, but he went on to play professionally. You might recognize his last name - his brother is Lee Thornburg who had a great studio career playing with Tower of Power and many others.

Well, I don’t claim to have met dozens and dozens of trumpeters but I do know several who are predominantly serious. I tend not to generalize and if I did I wouldn’t generalize them as necessarily having a crazy side. I know another trumpeter well whose only really crazy aspect is that he collects western swing 78s. That’s crazy! :wink:

No worries. Besides, if they really do something unexpected in a chorus, going to the relative minor is a likely choice because both keys share a common scale. G and Em have an affinity for that reason.

I’ll never forget the first time I heard Norah Jones “Come Away with Me”

Hey, I just wanted to thank you so much for turning me onto Lyn Stanley and Sinne Eeg. Not only are the recordings fantastic, but they are both very good jazz singers from a musical standpoint - phrasing, swing, interaction with other musicians, richness of voice, etc. I prefer Eeg just a bit more - but I’m always looking for someone who’s just a bit off the beaten path. Her pretty-much duet album with bassist Thomas Fonnesbaek is wonderful - I’ve heard good bass-instrument/voice recordings before, but with this one I really wanted to hear more. I think the recording quality of Lyn Stewart’s might be a little higher, but I read that she targets the audiophile community - need to add her to another topic I started about musicians who care a lot about high-end audio. Thanks again. And yes, these are definitely wonderful center-channel mixes.

3 Likes

You’re very welcome! In the realm of “debatably jazz” female vocals is Inger Marie Gundersen, sometimes rendered as Inger Marie. Great sounding albums and a gorgeous voice.

1 Like

I thought the standard joke was:

What do you call a person who hangs around with musicians?

A drummer.

Or was it a Bassist?

1 Like

boo

2 Likes

Definitely a drummer. How do you know when a drummer is at your door? When the knocking speeds up and he doesn’t know when to come in. Or the best way to get a drummer to play quietly is to put sheet music in front of him. The difference between a dead skunk in the road and a dead trombonist in the road? The skunk might have been on his way to a gig.

I told you not to get me started.

3 Likes

My favorite: What do you call an accordian player with a business card? An optimist.

1 Like

One time a guy went into a bar and he decided to leave his accordion in his car. When he told the bartender he had done this, the bartender told him I hope you locked your car! He had not. And when he returned to his car there were now five accordions in it.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Believe it or not, I heard that joke back in the 1980s and it was about a guy who left 2 Atlanta Braves tickets on his dashboard. Someone broke in and left him 2 more. Yes, this was before the Braves changed the world.

What’s the difference between an onion and an accordion? You don’t cry when you cut up an accordion.

And one of the best-ever musician jokes: there were two musician roommates, one played the accordion and the other the trombone. They practiced up and got pretty good. So one year they were hired to play at a New Year’s Eve party. After they got through, the host told them they had done such a great job, he wanted them to play for the party next year. “Sure,” the accordionist replied, “Could we just leave our instruments here?”

2 Likes

Hey Tony, I realized I never responded to this, but your question is really important. I’m using Vandersteen 2ce speakers which I love more and more. My room is small - basically 11 x 14 but I have the speakers about 2 feet from the front wall and 18 inches in from the sides. I’ve got bass traps in all corners and soffits and a smattering of absorber and diffuser panels. The room is not dead, but it’s really intimate. I worry that my speaker placement and the room force the center channel to stick out - the reason for this topic - but I’m also becoming aware that I’ve never had a system that even HAS this “phantom center” image, so I think I’m learning about how it works and about how mixes sometimes don’t even address it well. And yes, I should go hear more systems to compare. But I’m pretty lazy.

1 Like