What is the latency of the Direct Stream Senior?

Hi Ted,

I have a Senior… I hook up outboard DACs to my digital piano keyboard / laptop recording system. Playback from my PC is USB out to my Benchmark DAC1 USB… I play a virtual instrument (Ravenscroft 275) on the PC and love the way it sounds through the Benchmark. Anywho… I always think about moving the Direct Stream into the system just to see… hmmm… or hear…

Latency is a huge issue with digital instruments… what is the latency of the Senior (and junior for that matter)?

BTW, I think… I called Benchmark and their engineer gave me a variable number for the DAC1 USB of 3 to 5 milliseconds… does this sound right to you?

Ever get requests for a DAC in professional studios?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

The DS and DS Jr have the same latency and will in the future as well.

The DS(s) weren’t designed for low latency: the lower the latency the more jitter that gets thru and the less flexibility in upsampling filters.

Still the DS has lower latency than, say, the delay of audio on the higher resolution older DirecTV receivers :slightly_smiling_face:

The latency depends on the inputs: the bridge adds a “random” amount of time (partially based on the protocols used by the controller and the media library.)
In addition to the below times USB adds about 0.12mSec.
There are old posts here on the forum with the then latencies which were fixed for all sample rates of input, but the more recent software now uses a buffer for the source samples which means that the buffering delay for 44.1k is twice as long as the buffering delay for 88.2k… FWIW DSD64 looks like 24/176.4 in the buffer…
Anyway the longest is 16/44.1 which can have latencies around 5mSec to 25mSec, typically around 16mSec.

4 Likes

BTW I keep intending to talk to PS Audio about an option to have the latency move to about 6mSec as long as the input clock is reasonably steady. It would be useful for video sync, real time instruments, and perhaps digital audio editing (bouncing thru analog, etc.) I think that since I initially designed the DS some newer software features would support running this way all of the time if the input clock is reasonably steady. I’ll think about it some more.

8 Likes

Neat idea