What subwoofer if any are you using in your system?

A pair of SVS PB16 Ultra

3 Likes

I use three subs in my main system - two REL SHO/3’s and one JL Audio F112. The JL Audio sub is crossed over at a lower frequency than the REL’s (37hz.)

2 Likes

A pair of Rythmik 12SE in custom cabinets built by Salk Sound.

11 Likes

I use a KEF XQ60b and in a way it’s a bit meaningless for me to use it since it goes down to 26 Hz +/- 3 db and my main speakers also goes down to 26 Hz.
Yes, my Elac FS507 goes down to 26 Hz +/- 6 db instead of 3 db as my sub doo but in a way the bass is the same.
Depending on how close to the “front wall” I place my FS507 I can’t say that I really hear any more/deeper bass when I use my sub.

If I place my FS507 60 cm/2 feet or less from the “front wall” I don’t need my sub but now I have my FS507 93 cm/+3 feets from the “front wall” so now I get a little help from my sub.
Not an earth shattering difference but enough to make me a little bit happier with my sub.

2 Likes

Single JL Audio Fathom F112

1 Like

Single ATC C1 sub.

1 Like

Dual Rel S/3 SHO

5 Likes

Nice set up!

1 Like

I just sold my Meridian pre-pro and purchased an Anthem AVM-60. Going immersive for the HT side of things. Adding two more pairs of ATCs hung from the ceiling in front and behind the row of seating. These will be the passive SCM12i Pro though. Hanging active loudspeakers presents some issues with routing power and the 60+ pound weight of the SCM20ASL Pro used for the five bed loudspeakers.

I’d be curious to hear your thoughts on the AVM-60. I was considering the Anthem myself.

I own an AVM-60, it replaced my Anthem Statement D2 quite nicely. I am very happy with it in my Theater setup.

2 Likes

No opinions formed yet @paul172. Just plopped it into the rack and the Meridian boxes went out the door to their new owner over the weekend. Haven’t had a chance to fully hook it up or configure/calibrate it yet. Waiting on the arrival of a couple more mission-critical cables later this week.

Single REL T9.

1 Like

I have an AVM-60 and am very happy with it. Prior to the AVM-60 I had a Yamaha Avantage 1020. I have no regrets switching to the AVM-60

1 Like

Wow, some great set-ups in this thread. Inspiring. I am the very happy owner of a brace of Rel S510s. With a bit of placement and decoupling/coupling tweaking, they now blend in to perfection with my Revel Gems, providing precise, fast and tuneful bass down almost into the bedrock (which happens to be very far down here in Denmark)

. Matching that kind of bass in a three-way floorstander would be very expensive indeed (and probably not sit too well with my modest Western Electric 300B push-pull amp).

8 Likes

On my main and desktop systems I use a single 12" sub of a brand which will be completely alien to almost all of you, BK Electronics from Essex in the UK, who used to make the subs for Rel until about 15 years ago. One is a downward facing unit which fits within a millimeter the only space available for it on the main system, and the other a FF with downward passive radiator for the desktop. 300w RMS class AB plate amps. Independently adjustable LF and high level (Neutrik) inputs. Very solidly made. With the baroque music I listen to I am seldom aware of them, until I turn them off! Excellent value for money.

4 Likes

Love the Ultima Gems I have seen them in a long time! I think Revel had a subwoofer that had an external amp that went with the Gems. I forgot the model.

Do you use the ARC calibration on the AVM 60? If yes how do you like it?

Absolutely! I started using ARC with my Statement D2 and wasted no time setting it up with my AVM 60. It is so easy to switch it in and out to hear the difference it makes. I appreciate the improvements!

2 Likes

The original Gem is indeed an amazing loudspeaker. Revel’s finest IMHO. It manages to hit the sweet spot where it combines speed, space and transparency but without sacrificing richness and rightness of tone. And they do so with top-shelf micro-dynamics, pinpoint imaging and with virtually no cabinet colouration, a combination of performance features rare (and extremely expensive!) in floorstanders (but let’s see what PSA can come up with😉). They really shine in small and medium-sized rooms. And, I might add, they are the best of friends with the push-pull triode amp driving them. Their only real shortcoming is the lack of deep bass, which is now supplied by the fine duo of Rel S510s. I’m a happy man - though more tweaks are
(of course) looming on the horizon.